I... HATE... Fruitflies!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah me too. I hate when I'm drinking a beer and go to take a sip and.... Doh! F**kin fruit fly floating on top. I take joy in killing them.

I love fruit flies. Naw, just kidding. Hate them suckers too. Had them real bad last year. here are som helpful hints:

1) fruit fly traps. Google them. Fairly effective.
2) pour HOT water down ALL drains in the house. Rumour has it them flies like to hang out in the drains where the water is.
3) Get rid of all fruit that may have holes or seeping juice. They are called fruit flies for a reason!
4) Houseplants. Flies like to hang out in the moist dirt. Not sure what to do here, maybe some insecticide or something.

We always have bananas around and we end up with a ton of fruit flies. I'm waiting for one crawl under my tinfoil starter lid and destroy it. That will send me on a rampage :)

Trust me. That's nothing compared to stink bugs! Anyone from NY to NC knows what I'm talking about. They suck and get into everything. Smell like pure ass if you smash them too.

Trust me. That's nothing compared to stink bugs! Anyone from NY to NC knows what I'm talking about. They suck and get into everything. Smell like pure ass if you smash them too.

Agreed, although this year they weren't too bad. They say next year will be terrible. Every time I chop up cilantro I think of them.

I love fruit flies. Naw, just kidding. Hate them suckers too. Had them real bad last year. here are som helpful hints:

1) fruit fly traps. Google them. Fairly effective.
2) pour HOT water down ALL drains in the house. Rumour has it them flies like to hang out in the drains where the water is.
3) Get rid of all fruit that may have holes or seeping juice. They are called fruit flies for a reason!
4) Houseplants. Flies like to hang out in the moist dirt. Not sure what to do here, maybe some insecticide or something.

I got 'em bad in the last 2-3 weeks. I'm uber-paranoid about brew day tomorrow. I brew outside but I rack from kettle to carboy inside.

1) ya, I was doing plastic containers with beer and a slice of fruit and holes in the lid. Those work good but I just switched to the apple cider vinegar and funnel method and those work even better.
2) I just found out about the drains being breeding grounds. This is a great idea, I'll be pouring boiling water down every drain in the house.
3) on top of it!
4) I don't water my plants :), so this shouldn't be an issue.

For some reason they've seemed to be drawn to the smell of fermenting rye for me. I've lost a batch of RyePA, and nearly lost another batch, to fruit flies. I've found them in my fermentation fridge for two other rye-containing batches too.

Everything's been much better since I moved to a fully sealed (with just a blowoff) fermenter. Unless those little bastards figure out how to undo a tri-clover fitting, they're not going to cause me any problems.

I always pour 1/3 shot glass of preparing or cider vinegar with a couple drops of dish soap. They go for a taste and since the soap kills the surface tension they drown. A couple days and no more fruit flies. Well, until next time.

Back