I had my first IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesecake

Reaction score
Well i had my first IPA this evening. To start it was really good but halfway through the 22 oz it just became too much for me. Plus it got a bit warm near the end because i was watching a movie and eating some sloppy joe's.

It was a Ska Brewing decadent imperial IPA.

This is suprising to me. Most people usually say they've had enough at the first sip, or they love it and continue. With me, it's always the first few sips that are the best, because after half the glass is gone, my taste buds are fried. Also... I always drink my IPA's warm. More flavor. Not warm warm, but around 55.

Well i had my first IPA this evening. To start it was really good but halfway through the 22 oz it just became too much for me. Plus it got a bit warm near the end because i was watching a movie and eating some sloppy joe's.

It was a Ska Brewing decadent imperial IPA.

Next time try a non-imperial. My recs would be Ninkasi Total Domination, green flash west coast IPA, bridgeport ipa, or lagunitas IPA.

I predict you'll get all the way through the next one.

Then there's no stopping you! :mug:

Edit: +1, Green Flash is nice. Try Bell's Two-Hearted Ale too.

Well, an Imperial IPA is quite a bit different from a standard IPA. Perhaps you should go with a simple IPA to start out, then work from there. I'm sure people on here can tell you what good ones are in your area. Congrats on trying something new.

Don't worry, you will be back for more. Just start with something a little more easy like a Pyramid longhammer or a basic IPA, lagunitas is a great low gravity IPA with a lot of flavor, with only 45 IBUs it still tastes like a great IPA.

After A while you will be searching for new IPAs and IIPAs to try.

I agree that I like some IPAs/IIPAs a little warmer like 45-50 to really taste the hops like the Pliny clone I have going right now :)

I won't lie, I prefer Imperial IPAs.

I feel their maltiness balances out the bitterness much better

I think beers like DFH 90 are geared toward taste buds like yours, more malty than typical to draw in a crowd that may be scared of a IIPA. have you had DFH 90 minute?

If only everyone would start with a nice pint of bitter and just get more hoppy from there if they wanted! ;)

I thinks it's best to start small. :)

If only everyone would start with a nice pint of bitter and just get more hoppy from there if they wanted! ;)

I thinks it's best to start small. :)

I have a keg of some bitter (very bitter) IPA right now. Its wonderful (from the sample I took) Another week or so and Ill put it on tap to see how it tastes.
Its a hop monster experiment.
-Me

When I had my first Pliny I was worried that it had been built up too much and I would be disappointed......this is one that definitely lives up to the hype though! Best commercial beer made in my opinion.

i will have to try something other then a imperial now. the store had a couple so i will have to see what else they have

Look for Bell's Two-Hearted Ale. IMO it's one of the best there is.

Also, I do like Goose Island IPA, and there is a beer called Cascade Pale Ale, but I can't remember who makes it. That is also pretty tasty.

Ok, time to go home and have a beer! (oh shoot, I have to drop a tiller off to a friend's house first...)

Look for Bell's Two-Hearted Ale. IMO it's one of the best there is.

Also, I do like Goose Island IPA, and there is a beer called Cascade Pale Ale, but I can't remember who makes it. That is also pretty tasty.

Ok, time to go home and have a beer! (oh shoot, I have to drop a tiller off to a friend's house first...)
Cascade is brewed by Point. +1 on Bells, and GI, espcially if you can get the GI on tap, when it's fresh. Bottled, it's hit or miss. Look for Three Floyds Alpha King, too. They call it an APA, but at 6% ABV and 66 IBUs, I beg to differ - that's American IPA territory. For something really different, Two Brothers Heavier Handed is just getting on tap in a lot of local bars. Keep an eye out for it.

Forget looking for Pliny in Chicago. It isn't sold here yet, unfortunately.

I'm a big fan of Goose Islands Imperial IPA myself...

For beers you can get around me... New Glaraus makes an awesome IPA among other things but you'd have to drive to WI to get it. HopDevil, Green Flash West Coast, Bear Republic's Racer 5.... just a few of my favorites.

And for anyone who enjoys Victory's HopDevil... you have to try WildDevil. I just got my first taste of that a few weeks ago. I have to say it's one of my new favorites. It's apparently a HopDevil, but it's fermented with wild yeast. Incredible.

Cascade is brewed by Point. +1 on Bells, and GI, espcially if you can get the GI on tap, when it's fresh. Bottled, it's hit or miss. Look for Three Floyds Alpha King, too. They call it an APA, but at 6% ABV and 66 IBUs, I beg to differ - that's American IPA territory. For something really different, Two Brothers Heavier Handed is just getting on tap in a lot of local bars. Keep an eye out for it.

Forget looking for Pliny in Chicago. It isn't sold here yet, unfortunately.

Yes, Point is the one! That is a tasty beer. Not an IIPA, but lots of good hop flavor nonetheless.

Bell's Hopslam and Founders Double Trouble are really good too. Double IPAs though.

One pint of IPA is plenty for a session. I still throw bartenders off when I start with an IPA and switch to malty beers. I think they are used to hopheads who don't drink anything else, but switching from hops to malt works for me.

One pint of IPA is plenty for a session. I still throw bartenders off when I start with an IPA and switch to malty beers. I think they are used to hopheads who don't drink anything else, but switching from hops to malt works for me.

I'm with ya on this. My buddy is a big IPA guy. When we go out to the craft pub down the road (best beer choices on tap I've ever seen) all he buys is IPAs. I like to broaden my horizons.

Back