I grow things:)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shafferpilot

Reaction score
Of my four Cascade Rhizomes, this is the only one that has broken ground:

hopsprouthx7.jpg

hopsprout2nk1.jpg

And just for fun, here's a patch of Flox that almost croaked last year, but is growing like crazy this year!

floxqu9.jpg

I'm not sure if used cigarette butts have the same effect but I take my cigar nubbs and tear them up and sprinkle them around my plants. The nicotine helps to keep bugs away.

Nice catch, guys. I keep trying to tell Cassy (the plants new name;) ) that smoking will stunt her growth, but you know kids these days:rolleyes:

Still at some point between this morning's pictures and now she pushed up three new chutes. Wahoo!

CatchinZs said:
I'm not sure if used cigarette butts have the same effect but I take my cigar nubbs and tear them up and sprinkle them around my plants. The nicotine helps to keep bugs away.

Some plants don't do well around tobacco. Tomatoes come to mind.
Not sure about hops.

Smogre said:
Some plants don't do well around tobacco. Tomatoes come to mind.
Not sure about hops.

I think that tobacco mosaic virus is transmittable to maters via ciggies, or something like that. Not making this stuff up, That you know of.

Arneba28 said:
x3...XxonValdez.......what we have oil company spies in here now?

haha, "back in the day" I was trying to get a handle for AOL, every one I tried kept getting rejected as already in use, looked over saw the paper took the name of the boat and bam instant handle, has just sort of stuck since. :fro:

fratermus said:
I think that tobacco mosaic virus is transmittable to maters via ciggies, or something like that. Not making this stuff up, That you know of.

That is true, the tobacco mosaic virus can be transmitted via cigarette ash.

I didn't know tomatoes were effected by nicotine.

These guys are in the same family as cannabis. And it shows. I have Willamette that I have to throttle back every year. They grow like mad. I break out a flame thrower in August.
Relax. Have A Home Brew. They are happy to be in the ground.

BTW Everyone. The proper term is SHOOT, not CHUTE. 15 years in the garden industry taught me something...

Back