I got one in the can!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
A beer that is - grabbed a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in cans at BevMo today. I never noticed this on the bottles before but it says "Can Conditioned"

Still tastes good to me!
20120303_122826.jpg

Dude, this is awesome. I've been waiting for more micros to start packaging in cans so we too can enjoy a good beer when glass is not allowed.

Say whut? Why?!?!?!?!

0 light reaches the beer. You can have a canned beer still taste good a year or two from now. Take up less room in the cooler/pack/store shell/truck delivering. An empty/full can weighs significantly less than a bottle. More welcome at parks/campsides/beaches. Overall it's a better vessel than brown and especially green glass.

Nembrionic said:
Say whut? Why?!?!?!?!

Good beer is what we all want, and modern cans do a vastly better job of keeping beer fresh & good than glass does. Not to mention the other equally valid points made above!

Hang on! But cans give off a metally taste!

I agree it doesn't let in any (sun)light but that's a matter or storage. However, a lot of cans give the beer a certain (after)taste. I would still opt for bottle any day of the week.

Nembrionic said:

I agree it doesn't let in any (sun)light but that's a matter or storage. However, a lot of cans give the beer a certain (after)taste. I would still opt for bottle any day of the week.

I would venture to say that is all in your head sir.. where do you think most beers ferment in? Certainly not glass connicals. Beer spends a lot of time in contact with metal before its put into glass bottles or a can. I've had plenty of micro beers from cans that don't have metal tastes. Like said before, the only downside to cans is we can't reuse them for our homebrews!

I would venture to say that is all in your head sir.. where do you think most beers ferment in? Certainly not glass connicals. Beer spends a lot of time in contact with metal before its put into glass bottles or a can. I've had plenty of micro beers from cans that don't have metal tastes. Like said before, the only downside to cans is we can't reuse them for our homebrews!

To a certain extent I think you are right. However, there's metal and there's metal. Most of they time beer is fermenting in stainless steel. Which is different from cans.

Cans are lined(as mentioned above) but that lining doesn't stant the test of time. So yes, for (lets say) a year, that's fine...but after that I'm sure it's different.

Nembrionic said:
To a certain extent I think you are right. However, there's metal and there's metal. Most of they time beer is fermenting in stainless steel. Which is different from cans.

Cans are lined(as mentioned above) but that lining doesn't stant the test of time. So yes, for (lets say) a year, that's fine...but after that I'm sure it's different.

Agreed. I doubt many of us let beer sit around longer than a year though. I just don't like seeing people snub there noses to cans. Many people miss out on some great tasting beers if they do!

There should be zero contact with the can's metal and liquid inside because of the protective layer. Same reason why canned foot doesn't taste like metal.

Poured my can of SN into my favorite glass and it was the same tasty beer I get from the bottle. I'd challenge you to taste a difference

Back