I did it. I dry fired my element!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescrap

Be the ball!
Reaction score
I read here once that there are only two brewers. Those who have dry fired the element and those who will dry fire it sooner or later. I always unplug so I never sorry about it but I plugged it in and turned it on. I bent down to wipe up a spill and then I smelt it. Looked up and it was glowing red. So what do I do, turn it off, no like dumb a.. I dunk the element in the wort. Seemed like it was working. Turned it off looked clean actually. I had been wondering about cleaning the white build up on it. Wiped it with a clean dish towell and resumed brewing. Obvious noob question, does this cause some sort of problem? How long would it take exactly to fry and trip gfci?

Tasted the sweet liquor to see (expecting) char and didnt taste any. After brewing i did scrub off some black stuff, but i scrubbed it. Looks brand new to tell the truth. I feel so lucky. I get the donkey this week.

I read here once that there are only two brewers. Those who have dry fired the element and those who will dry fire it sooner or later. I always unplug so I never sorry about it but I plugged it in and turned it on. I bent down to wipe up a spill and then I smelt it. Looked up and it was glowing red. So what do I do, turn it off, no like dumb a.. I dunk the element in the wort. Seemed like it was working. Turned it off looked clean actually. I had been wondering about cleaning the white build up on it. Wiped it with a clean dish towell and resumed brewing. Obvious noob question, does this cause some sort of problem? How long would it take exactly to fry and trip gfci?

Tasted the sweet liquor to see (expecting) char and didnt taste any. After brewing i did scrub off some black stuff, but i scrubbed it. Looks brand new to tell the truth. I feel so lucky. I get the donkey this week.

Depends on the element. If you have an ultra-low-wattage-density (ULWD) element, brief dry-fire isn't a problem. In fact, I do it intentionally after every brewing session to clean the element. Cherry red.

The ubiquitous Camco 02963 5500W 240V elements are an example of a ULWD.

that beer is going very likely taste scorched. when I scorched mine with my rims it didnt taste scorched till the suger fermented.

I also intentionally dry fire mine during cleanup, but always with a stream of hot water directed on them to blast away the crud as it burns off. Lots of steam but they stay clean and shiny. My elements arent ULWD but they are LWD. Works for me.

that beer is going very likely taste scorched. when I scorched mine with my rims it didnt taste scorched till the suger fermented.
It looks dark and forboding. And I saw black flakes at bottom of kettle. Hope the no chill darkened it somehow otherwise I fear I am on a one way bus trip to dump city. About damn time already.

Thanks for the support and help everyone. Yes I think it is 5500w ulwd. Got it from bobby at brewhardware. Super clean now. I have been wondering about dry firing it to clean the white build up off. It was glowing really red.

I accidentally left one of the elements plugged in while I was chilling. It's amazing the wall the the temp drop hits when the IC is battling a full-powered element. No dry-fire though.

It looks dark and forboding. And I saw black flakes at bottom of kettle. Hope the no chill darkened it somehow otherwise I fear I am on a one way bus trip to dump city. About damn time already.

Thanks for the support and help everyone. Yes I think it is 5500w ulwd. Got it from bobby at brewhardware. Super clean now. I have been wondering about dry firing it to clean the white build up off. It was glowing really red.

I think only the incoloy (black) elements will dry fire without damage. The stainless ones don't handle it well, or so I've been told.

I do one dryfire until the smoke turns dark green. At that point I can't see anything in the pot, so I turn it off for a few seconds to let the smoke clear. Then I fire it again til it gets cherry red. Then hose it off. You need to make sure you get the carbon off or your beer will taste like burnt offerings. See this:

Cool video passedpawn. Clever music. I think my element is the same as yours. Also I think I did step one and 2 at same time. By the time I got there it was glowing red and no smoke. I fear what you sprayed off is in my beer. That said I did wipe a lot off at end so I am hoping some stuck to element and not beer.

Back