I did everything wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonharri

Reaction score
After 10 years, I decided to get back into making beer. I pulled out my old dusty carboy and brew pot and got started. No home brew stores by me, but luckily I found an old box of supplies - LME, hops, even some grain. All ten years old mind you.

I forgot exactly how to make wort, and boiled a pound of crystal malt instead of steeping. Other than that, I think I got things right. I ended up pitching bread yeast because it was all I could get my hands on in short notice. The fermentation was fast and violent - must have been the bread yeast.

After about three weeks, I bottled it. I tasted a sample and was surprised to find that it did not taste all that bad. I was also happy I did not die from using ten year old ingredients.

Now I am waiting for the beer to condition. I wonder what the finished product will taste like. I had a lot of fun with this batch and can't wait for the next....

Were the hops frozen? 10 year old room temperature hops are probably not going to provide any bitterness whatsoever. It is basically what they use in lambics...you get the preservative properties of the hops, but not much else.

The hops were ten years old in a silver vacuum pack. They still smelled hoppy, but I am sure they are not very strong.

What temp did you pitch that yeast? Welcome back,and get some supplies to make good beer.Like a hydrometer.Im curious what bread yeast does. Im pretty shure hombrew has come a long way in ten years. I gave my hombrew to my father in law and he hasnt had one since someone made it and was awful like 20 yrs ago, He said the bottle was half full of yeast or something. He finishes every bottle of mine without complaints and he drinks bud select 55 from cans?? Im gussing that guy bottled his beer after a few days or something and just dumped it into bottles or a jug..I like giving people something they have never had before too,homebrew.Im more determined to make it the best i can also. I feel pretty challenged when i feel like im drinking some of the best commercial beers made and want to be up to that par.Unless i havnt had some incedible non american beer,im thinking american beer is better,plus im stimulating the economy and supporting smaller buisness owners.

Probably not very bitter, but the astringency from boiling the crystal will help.:)

This made me laugh. I'm actually surprised to hear that the sample tasted pretty good. I wouldn't have expected bread yeast and boiled crystal with ten year old extract and hops to turn out well. Maybe you are redefining Old Ale. :mug:

DubBrew said:
This made me laugh. I'm actually surprised to hear that the sample tasted pretty good. I wouldn't have expected bread yeast and boiled crystal with ten year old extract and hops to turn out well. Maybe you are redefining Old Ale. :mug:

It surprised me too. Rest assured I have fresh ingredients on the way from brewers warehouse. This time I rolled the dice. The next batch will be better.

Congrats on getting back into the beer brewing hobby! Please keep us all updated on how your golden oldie turns out!

I ended up pitching bread yeast because it was all I could get my hands on in short notice.

On short notice? You were on such a time crunch that you needed to use bread yeast - just to let it ferment for three weeks?

I can see it: "****, I need to brew NOW...I need to get MY FIX!!!"

:D

Wow, and NASA has been trying to figure what foods can last 10 years... Beer, the superfood! They should have just asked their local brewer.

It will get better with time, but I tried my bottled beer after a week and then 1 each week there after until now, it's about 6 months in bottle and ridiculously good. It will get better with age, but why not see how they improve with time? I say go for it!

I can see it: "****, I need to brew NOW...I need to get MY FIX!!!"

:D

I LOL'd at this

It will get better with time, but I tried my bottled beer after a week and then 1 each week there after until now, it's about 6 months in bottle and ridiculously good. It will get better with age, but why not see how they improve with time? I say go for it!

I LOL'd at this

+1 :rockin:

Back