I Brewed! Hopsteiner 6300

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed for the first time in a couple of months, things are looking better, more settled and I should get back to brewing more regularly. This Saturday, I'll be brewing again and supervising a new brewer at the CHAOS brewhouse.

Anyway, last night I brewed a pale ale using some experimental hops I bought probably a year ago, Hopsteiner 6300. 13.5% alpha acid, described as cocoa, tropical fruit, passion fruit, stone fruit. I used a hop extract for bittering and then added 1 oz of the 6300 @ 10 minutes and 1 oz @ 5 minutes. I'll dry hop with 2 oz for four days.

One interesting thing is that the pellets had a noticeable resin-like, sticky feel to them.

Grain bill was nothing unusual - mostly pale malt (3.5L) with a little Munich and a little crystal 20 thrown in. Adjusted the mash pH with lactic acid. Fermenting with Lallemand's West Coast Ale yeast. Hit both target gravity (1.056) and volume (5.5 gallons), mash temp was 151F rather than my targeted 152F.

exp6300.jpg

I had not even heard of that one, but I hope you get good results with them.

A few days ago, I tasted this beer as I racked into the keg and was surprised at the level of coconut that I got out of it. Like sun screen LOL. It was pleasant, just unexpected. We'll see how it is after its carbed up, if it keeps that quality, which would be cool.

I used them years ago in an IPA and got overwhelming herbal-coconut suncreen. It faded a bit but still was too much for my taste. The hops were whole leaf from a cut and the sensory notes from Hopsteiner included "shrimp shells" in the sensory description. Weird hop.

I used them years ago in an IPA and got overwhelming herbal-coconut suncreen. It faded a bit but still was too much for my taste. The hops were whole leaf from a cut and the sensory notes from Hopsteiner included "shrimp shells" in the sensory description. Weird hop.

Good to know I'm not making up the coconut! I used pellets, and its not overwhelming, but i only used two ounces in the dryhop. No shrimp, thank heavens LOL.

Latest posts

Back