I bought 3 cascade rhizomes off of ebay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweet T

Reaction score
now I'm wondering why the heck I did?:drunk: Well for one thing, I really think I'm going to enjoy growing these thangs! Sounds like they can grow UNCONTROLLABLY if you let them, but I have a super green thumb and couldn't help myself! And I haven't even brewed a "kit" yet! HAHAHA! I read somewhere you can eat them kind of like asparagus so hey, if I'm not brewing with hops by the time I harvest a few, I'll see how they taste with butter and salt!

They say it takes a couple years to get a good harvest off of them anyway right?

I have no idea if I will even need the hops (I may be a kit user for a long time) but I think cascade is an easy one to grow, they seem to be very tough in comparison to others. Plus I saw several recipes I like that use cascade hops. Think it's too late to grow 'em? I'm thinking if I get them in the ground as soon as they arrive, I might be OK?

I wish this was for sale 2 days ago.:(

Hop_Root-19.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Giant-Cascade-H...ryZ38172QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought 3 Cascase rhysomes already sprouted off of a guy on Ebay. They arrived in great shape and I planted them 3 weeks back. One is now over 6 feet tall!
But my question is, how can you tell if you have a male plant in with the females? The one 6ft tall has but one runner from the ground while all the others have multiple runners from the base of the plant. IS this one a male?

I bought 3 Cascase rhysomes already sprouted off of a guy on Ebay. They arrived in great shape and I planted them 3 weeks back. One is now over 6 feet tall!
But my question is, how can you tell if you have a male plant in with the females? The one 6ft tall has but one runner from the ground while all the others have multiple runners from the base of the plant. IS this one a male?

None of your rhizomes will be male, they will all be female. Unless your breeding there is no point in having male plants. If someone sold you a male plant, I would demand my money back

The only way to tell male hop plants from female ones is to wait until harvest time. But, as mentioned, no one keeps male plants around except for breeders. Commercial hops are all clones of female plants.

Latest posts

Back