I always seem to forget...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that feeling well from back in my kegging days. Got totally smashed off of a 2.5% failed attempt at a Belgian Pale Ale. I'm getting ready to start kegging again, so I imagine it will be a very real consideration soon. Cheers!

kegging just makes it too easy. For some reason, I'm way more protective of my beer when it's bottled.

3 beers is less than greater than three bottles?

<> represents "not equal to"

I'm pretty new to kegging myself and find it's way too easy to say I'll have another 1/2 a pint, where if I had only bottles I'd of rationalized I don't need another whole beer. That 1/2 pint turns in to 2 more often than not. :drunk:

I'm pretty new to kegging myself and find it's way too easy to say I'll have another 1/2 a pint, where if I had only bottles I'd of rationalized I don't need another whole beer. That 1/2 pint turns in to 2 more often than not. :drunk:

Which is exactly my rationale right now. :p everyone's asleep, and I have a 1/2 pint with me now.

When I have bottles I leave them all on the table. I can then see when to stop.

I have pint glasses and some small pilsner? glasses. The small ones are much safer!!!

I always seem to forget that the kegs run dry eventually. Few things are more heartbreaking than going to fill up a glass and only ending up with about 1/4 of it filled up.

It's for this very reason that I've often considered going back to bottling. But kegging is so awesome and easy...it's a tough call as I brew smaller than 5 gallon batches anyway. I've also thought about bridging the gap and still using kegs as bottling "buckets" and for lagering/conditioning before bottling. But I've already got the sweet kegerator! I think it really comes down to self-control and moderation. But often after 2 or 3 beers, that's all out the window, unfortunately.

I tend to use a mix of 500 ml and 341ml bottles. Gives a bit of portion control options. Then again, for my DIPA it was all 341 and my failed party gyle 3.2% from a few weeks later went into all 500, but those decisions shouldn't need much explanation.

My problem is that when I have all six taps on the kegerator full of beer, I get very lazy about brewing. Next thing I know, I have three kegs spitting foam at the same time and nothing in the fermenter to back them up...

My problem is that when I have all six taps on the kegerator full of beer, I get very lazy about brewing. Next thing I know, I have three kegs spitting foam at the same time and nothing in the fermenter to back them up...

Ha Ha, I know that feeling. It seems like I'll never get all six full and then they're all on gas I relax. Bad time to relax, that's when you really need 2 fermenters ready to go. Next thing you know, 2 or 3 kegs go Pfffft.

I bottled a batch from the keg today. I was very disappointed that by the time I finally got around to bottling, I only had 30 12oz, a 22 oz and 2 half liter bottles worth of beer left, that I had already drank as much as I did since tapping the keg. It's way easier to over do it from the keg.

Latest posts

Back