Hypothetically speaking...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burninmules

Reaction score
What would happen if you accidentally mashed @ 175 degrees or more? My thermometer was off by 20 at the end of my boil last night and I am worried that my mash temp may have been way off. I chilled the wort and pitched the yeast anyway. I came home from work today, prepared to dump ten gallons, and I found active fermentation. I was expecting to have an unfermentable wort. I have regained hope for this brew. What do y'all think?

What would happen if you accidentally mashed @ 175 degrees or more? My thermometer was off by 20 at the end of my boil last night and I am worried that my mash temp may have been way off. I chilled the wort and pitched the yeast anyway. I came home from work today, prepared to dump ten gallons, and I found active fermentation. I was expecting to have an unfermentable wort. I have regained hope for this brew. What do y'all think?

If you mashed that high, all the enzymes would be denatured and would not convert the starch to sugar. Did you MASH at that temp or did you MASH IN at that temp? It is possible with temp loss from warming equipment and bringing the grain up to temp that you did get below 160.

Vance71975 said:
If you mashed that high, all the enzymes would be denatured and would not convert the starch to sugar.

That is what I thought. That is why I was surprised to see fermentation. I guess my themometer must of got screwed up after the mash. Thank God! I would hate to ever have to dump any beer...

That is what I thought. That is why I was surprised to see fermentation. I guess my themometer must of got screwed up after the mash. Thank God! I would hate to ever have to dump any beer...

I have mashed in at 175 before, Mash temp was 158. I will say this much, Expect a very very chewy beer lol

My therm was reading 20 degrees low. If my strike was 172, I was worried that it was really 192 (ouch!). I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it. I will sleep well tonight, there is a nice krausen.

My therm was reading 20 degrees low. If my strike was 172, I was worried that it was really 192 (ouch!). I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it. I will sleep well tonight, there is a nice krausen.

Awesome! Time for a new therm for sure tho.

Update: I ended up having 15 gallons of beer that still tasted like wort after two weeks. Ugh! I think I shed a tear...but, on the bright side, I have a new, nicely calibrated thermometer and five gallons of Ed Wort's haus pale bubbling away at about 64 degrees...

Did you already dump it? I have never done this myself, but this seems like a textbook case where Beano could be used to increase fermentability. I mean, if you're going to lose the beer anyway, you might as well try it...

Did you already dump it? I have never done this myself, but this seems like a textbook case where Beano could be used to increase fermentability. I mean, if you're going to lose the beer anyway, you might as well try it...

Agreed, I keep a bottle of amalyze emzyme stored in my brew closet incase I run into something like this!

Back