Hydrometer wax(?) is breaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhochman

Reaction score
The red stuff at the bottom of my hydrometer, which I believe to be wax, is chipping away slightly. When I take a reading, it all sits on the main chunk of wax, which is in the bottom where it should be. Any thoughts on if this could affect my gravity readings?

Thanks.

Uh, pics? Can't really picture what you're talking about. Hydrometers I've used haven't had any wax on them.

I checked two of my hydrometers. The newest, narrow range, has red wax like substance encapsulating the pellet weights, except for one lone pellet. My oldest hydrometer, 1987, has a clear substance holding the pellet weights. Some of this glue is flaking off at the thin top around the circumference. The flakes stay in place at the bottom when the hydrometer is upright, so I don't think the function will be affected.

Ah, got it. Yea, should be fine.

You can always check it every now and then in some distilled water to make sure it's still reading 1.000. If it ever shifts, you can just adjust your readings accordingly going forward.

Back