Hydrometer Readings Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt_Huey

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first post here, and also my first brew (honey wheat) is well underway and going great so far. I pitched on Sunday afternoon and fermentation is well under way - a few nice bubbles in the airlock (not that that matters too much) and a nice krausen ring going.

I was so excited to pitch, I forgot to take a SG reading, and didn't realize until 24hrs had gone by. For the sake of measurement, I took one then which was 1.055. I took one this morning and it read 1.035. Finishing gravity is estimated to be 1.017.

So my questions are:
1) My fermenter is on the floor in the closet, so I have to lift it out and up on a table to get access to the spigot (pail style fermenter). Have I done an damage by moving it twice so far?

2) how often should I disrupt things to take a reading?

Thanks for the help, and I am already past addicted and am becoming slightly obsessed with everything home brew! :D:D

With extract batches I only take readings after about 3weeks and usually just before raking to the bottling bucket (the one with the spigot). Try to let your fermenter sit so the trub does not get stirred up. You want as little trub in your botting bucket as possible.

I take a hydrometer sample before pitching yeast,regardless of brewing style as a matter of course. kit instructions don't always give exact numbers for OG/FG,but rather a range. I like to know how well I'm doing after a seemingly successful brewday. but I am starting to wait till about 3 weeks to take an FG sample. If it's the same number 2-3 days apart,it's done. I then give it 3-7 days more to clean up any by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling.

1) You probably didn't hurt anything by moving it. You want to avoid oxygenating the wort once fermentation starts but as long as you were gentle you should be ok.

2) Be patient and don't open the fermenter and take gravity readings until you really think it's done to avoid contamination. Most ale brews under 1.060 should be done fermenting after 1 to 1 1/2 weeks but most people leave things alone until after 2-3 weeks. The extra time helps with conditioning and clearing. Most people on here just leave things alone until then and only take one FG reading at bottling/kegging time.

Pretty much what everyone else says.

You didn't do any harm taking a gravity reading the day after, the next day and this morning, but then again you didn't do any good taking them either. The information they gave you doesn't do you any good so there's no reason to take a reading.

Take a reading when you pitch to get O.G. (24 hours later some fermentation has occurred so the is no use in taking a reading then.) And take two more weeks later when you think final gravity has been reached. And that's all you need.

To get O.G. numbers don't use the reading 24 hours later. Try to calculate from the ingredients. For an extract, the o.g. given in the instructions will be spot on if you got your measurements right.

Thanks for the input. Not sure what the infection risk is when I use the spigot to get a sample, definitely have not opened the lid on the fermenter. Its been 5 days, won't be around all next week (on vacation), so it should be ready to bottle when I get back.

Looking forward to the next step in the process!!

Thanks for the input. Not sure what the infection risk is when I use the spigot to get a sample, definitely have not opened the lid on the fermenter. Its been 5 days, won't be around all next week (on vacation), so it should be ready to bottle when I get back.

Looking forward to the next step in the process!!

When you take a sample from the bottom, it sucks air in from the top. That can cause infection. Leaving the fermentor alone until the beer is done (2-4 weeks) is the best strategy to better beer.

Spigots can become an infection hazard to your beer. Make sure to remove the spigot from your bucket after every batch. Pull all the pieces apart and clean and sanitize thoroughly. Then sanitize again before using again. Assemble wet under Starsan.

I do that with all my spigots after every batch. I use PBW & aquarium lift tube cleaning brushes to clean them out inside. When taking hydrometer samples,I use a spray bottle of Starsan to sanitize the inside of the spout on the spigot before taking the sample. Also,I remove the airlock center piece so as not tosuck anything into the fermenter. No worries about the tiny bit of air getting in. Off gassing co2 seems to take care of that. Taking the sample disrupts the beer & it off gasses a bit after sampling.

Back