hydrometer reading help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pperrydawg

Reaction score
I'm a total rookie, so could somebody make sure I'm reading this right. See pic below. I'm thinking 1.014?

Just for reference this is two weeks in the primary (don't have secondary) and i'm doing a kolsch kit from northern brewer.

Thanks!

hydrometer reading - 2 weeks.JPG

looks like 1.018-1.020 but it's hard to tell from the angle.

can't tell from that angle. you have to take the reading looking right at the line where the beer meets hydrometer, from the high angle it looks like 1.02, so i'd guess something lower than 1.02

To get an accurate reading, the top of your beer should be at eye level. The liquid will dip in the middle, that dip is called the "meniscus" - you want to read the level at the bottom of the meniscus for the most accurate gravity.

To get an accurate reading, the top of your beer should be at eye level. The liquid will dip in the middle, that dip is called the "meniscus" - you want to read the level at the bottom of the meniscus for the most accurate gravity.

Bingo

Really appreciate the help. So what would you typically see for the final gravity on a kolsch?

Back