Hydrometer issues...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmainster

Reaction score
After finishing my first homebrew last night, and transferring into the fermenter (carboy), I decided to take out the hydrometer and take an OG reading....

Well, the thing didn't float....it won't even float in water. Am I doing something wrong, or is my hydrometer busted? I didn't see any cracks or anything...

Anyways, I gave up, pitched the yeast and went on with my night.
After pitching the yeast, is it now too late to take an OG reading?

Thanks!

What kind of vessel are you taking your reading in? You may need something deeper. Try using the tube the hydrometer came in and fill it about 3/4 full with liquid.

My guess is that you're not using enough liquid. Does the hydrometer sink completely below the surface of the liquid or does it hit the bottom with a good bit of it still sticking out?

Definitely sounds like not enough liquid in the tube.

If fermentation has started you won't get an accurate OG, but it might still be useful to take one to get a rough sense of your starting point. It'll be important to take them later on to figure out when fermentation has finished.

you just need a larger vessel to use for taking the readings. tube the hydrometer came in usually works. but for like $5 you can get a 100ML test tube thing and use that.

Where on they hydro does it stop? If you're testing it in water and the water only comes up to 1.020 or something like that, then its not enough water. Fill it up to where the water level can sit at 1.000 with the hydro in the tube, and then fill it up a little more. That should tell you if its busted or if its just a volume problem.

Back