hydrometer intervals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrewster

Reaction score
My book says to "check specific gravity periodically untill the readings stop going down." When should I first check my wort's SG and then how often thereafter? So this means it's okay to take the lid off my bucket to check it right? Thanks, Robert

As long as everything is sanitized your fine. Once the bubbling has started to stop you should check every few days until you get the same reading 2-3 times in a row. That means your fermentation has stopped. That is usually when everyone will rack it into a carboy for secondary fermentation to get a clearer result.

I normally take 2 readings, one after 7 or 8 days and the second after about 3 weeks.

The first reading is done after the krausen falls and assures me that the fermentation went as planned and is not stuck. It is normally within 2 or 3 points of my target FG.

The reading after 3 weeks or so is done before I bottle or before I rack to secondary (I leave my beers in the primary for 3 weeks). By this time the gravity has usually fallen another point or two.

I don't take any more readings than this because I don't think they are necessary in normal circumstances.

my approach is this: the beers I brew are typically no more than 5% ABV, so they *should* ferment fully in 7 days if everything goes well.

knowing that you need consistent hydrometer readings, 3 days apart...I take my first hydro reading the 5th day after I pitch the yeast. 2 days later I take another reading. That's enough time apart that if it hasn't moved and its close to my expected final gravity, its safe to call 'done'.

i may leave it in primary another week or 2, i may rack to secondary for a couple weeks. depends on the beer.

I leave my beers in the primary for a month. I take a hydro reading after a week if I'm paranoid about whether the yeast is doing its job, but otherwise it's at week 2 or even just a couple of days before I rack.

Latest posts

Back