Hydrometer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akillys

Reaction score
So when I took my OG it was 1.050 according to my hydrometer. I later took another reading but was looking at the portion of the hydrometer that reads ABV it was reading like 2% ABV this lead me to believe that I had produced a low ABV beer. I took another reading today and the ABV was the same but I looked at specific gravity where I got my OG and the reading was 1.010. When I put this into my calculator it says my ABV is 5.3% but according to the ABV reading of the hydrometer it is only 1.5- 2 %. Which way is correct?

Ignore the ABV scale on your hydrometer. Use the calculation based on the difference between O.G. and F.G.

The problem is that when you're done fermenting, the hydrometer can tell you what your current gravity is, but it doesn't know what your O.G. was. Was it 1.050? 1.075? It has no way of knowing, therefore it cannot tell you your ABV based solely on the final gravity.

LOL OOPS! I pitched more yeast this morning thinking I had a stuck fermentation. How long should I wait to bottle now?

Look at your hydrometer again and notice that not only is there a 2% reading where your gravity currently is, BUT also a higher reading at whatever level your original gravity was at.

So for example lets assume that your OG was up in the 1.050 range and that would have corresponded to a reading of 7.3% and your FG is indicating 2.0%

The abv of your beer is the difference between the two (7.3 - 2.0 = 5.3%abv)
:mug:

My hydrometer has the ABV scale on it too, but it isn't as simple as stick the hydrometer in and see what it says. You have to record what the original ABV is before pitching and then again when fermentation is complete. Take the final ABV and subtract it from the original. It just takes the steps of putting gravity in a calculator.

LOL OOPS! I pitched more yeast this morning thinking I had a stuck fermentation. How long should I wait to bottle now?

I would wait 2-3 days to bottle to let the yeast settle. There is not much sugar left in the beer for the new yeast to consume, so they will likely just fall to the bottom and go dormant.

I think it should be a sticky not to read ABV from the hydrometer. It seems to confuse many, me included when I first started brewing.

I would wait 2-3 days to bottle to let the yeast settle. There is not much sugar left in the beer for the new yeast to consume, so they will likely just fall to the bottom and go dormant.

Thanks. So far it taste pretty good, at least the samples I have drawn to test gravity. I can't wait to see what it taste like carbed.

I think it should be a sticky not to read ABV from the hydrometer. It seems to confuse many, me included when I first started brewing.

I agree....I remember being confused when I first started too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that had this misunderstanding. I felt kind of stupid once I realized what had happened.

Back