Hydro broke, safe to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDragon

Not actually a dragon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My Four Quarters Imperial India Red (OG 1.080, 5g dry yeast per gallon) was pitched two and a half weeks ago - four 5L+ buckets with a little over a gallon each. In the meantime, I killed my hydrometer and a new one won't arrive until after the intended five day dry hop period. I'm hoping to have these bottled and carbed by April 26th, when they'll be on standby for my wedding (standby as in I don't think my guests will appreciate the hoppiness and I'd rather save them for myself anyway).

The end of my intended dry-hop period will be day 23, I believe. There were still yeast rafts in two of the fermenters (possibly held in place by the hanging krausen stuck to the lids of the buckets :p) One of them, presumably the only one with a very good seal around the grommet (I'm not much of a handyman and didn't have the right drill bit), has bubbled once a minute or two for the last week and a half, but there wasn't significant bubbling in the buckets as I opened them up for their dry hops.

So, long post finally coming to a close, should I be safe to bottle on day 23, or should I give it a second four or five day dry hop to be on the safe side but risk being undercarbed on the wedding day?

Based on my experience, I think you can safely bottle according to your original schedule. I would be surprised if there was much left in that beer to work on after that amount of time.

Science geeks: you may blast me for being unscientific and not having numbers.

If you were setup to keg you could let it go longer :-D *poke*

It's probably fine......

Hey, don't prod me, prod SWMBO ;). Of course, in this case I would need some five liter kegs to take that route, unless I were willing to sacrifice the entire purpose of the experiment, which was to try four hop profiles on one beer.

Looks like I'll be bottling as planned. I can't wait for these to be carbed up - when I popped open the fermenters to dry hop I was bashed with some unreasonably delicious aromas...

Back