Hybrid Brutus with SS Brewtech Gear - My Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkline

Reaction score
Hi all - wanted to share my hybrid brutus 10 setup with you guys. Haven't brewed on it yet, but really excited to soon. My father is incredibly handy with metal fabrication, and did the whole thing from scratch. Wanted to post some pics since he did such an awesome job on it.

The setup consists of two SS Brewtech 10 Gallon BME kettles (one for the hot liquor tank, one for boil kettle), a SS brewtech 10 gallon infusion mash tun with MTSS controller, two blichmann riptide pumps, two pilot lights for each of the kettles, and a control box for the power.

Control box -

IMG_3930 (1).jpg

Hot Liquor -

IMG_3932.jpg

Mash Tun (and boil kettle on right). Pumps are underneath and protected with a heat shield. The MTSS controller is also on a mini stand that's protected from liquid as well.
Controlling the flame is easily done with adjustment valves that are on the front burners (didn't really see a need to automate turning the flames on or off, adjusting is easy enough).

IMG_3933.jpg

Whole system -
IMG_3935 (1).jpg

Will definitely post some pics when I get this puppy ready for it's first brew day!

Looks pretty darned good already :mug:

Two questions:
- propane or natural gas?
- gas controller make/model?

Cheers!
Cheers man! It's setup for propane. Here are all of the details :mug:

• Honeywell VR8200A2132 dual valve standing pilot gas control
  • Honeywell AT140A1042 transformer
  • Honeywell Q314 pilot burner
  • Honeywell Q390A1046 thermocouple
The burners are rated for 200,000 btu but will be about 168,000 btu with a two stage regulator.

They're definitely BG14 or Hurricanes (same cast iron beast, different names).
When running low pressure gas it's either those or a multi-tip jet, there isn't much else that works well enough...

Cheers!

Cheers man! It's setup for propane. Here are all of the details :mug:

• Honeywell VR8200A2132 dual valve standing pilot gas control
  • Honeywell AT140A1042 transformer
  • Honeywell Q314 pilot burner
  • Honeywell Q390A1046 thermocouple
The burners are rated for 200,000 btu but will be about 168,000 btu with a two stage regulator.
That's a beautiful setup.
I used those same components in my natural gas system and they've all held up well over the last 3 years with one exception: when the pilot stops lighting easily, replace the thermocouple.

Sure thing - apologies for the delayed response:

Ky6eaEv.jpg

4NLgRUU.jpg

B9UwxMy.jpg

SvFW95c.jpg

Haven't been on the forums in awhile but I had my first brew day a few weeks ago. System worked great!
Ky6eaEv

fJ5uRFo

I really like the way you fabricated those burner brackets, with built in stand offs for good oxygen/combustion and for the gasses to escape.

John

Beautiful. You father saved you a small fortune by fabricating this rig for you. Plus, if there are any design tweaks that need to be made, he will be there to help. Congrats on a super setup.

It came up in another thread that you should drill a release hole for steam in the frame that's in contact with the flame on the off chance it would pressurize.

Just curious if that's something your dad did or would do given his obvious talents and knowledge.

Edit: and just after I submitted, I found the hole

It came up in another thread that you should drill a release hole for steam in the frame that's in contact with the flame on the off chance it would pressurize.

Just curious if that's something your dad did or would do given his obvious talents and knowledge.

Edit: and just after I submitted, I found the hole
Pretty funny - I got off the phone with him yesterday night and he replied, "Of course I did." :)

Latest posts

Back