Hurricane ale for Crawfish Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BilltownBrewingCo

Beer is one of God's greatest gifts to man.
Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm brewing a batch for a Crawfish boil were going to do in a few months. Everyone likes to drink hurricanes with their mud bugs, I'm thinking of doing a fruit beer that is inspired by the passionfruit and orange rum cocktail.

Not sure what to do for a base beer here. Wheat is common for fruits, but I've never used passionfruit or orange to flavor a beer.

Thoughts?

I'm getting old and have boiled more crawfish than beer in my life and have never had anyone ask me for a hurricane to go with their crawfish. I'm guessing you're not from anywhere near the cajun areas. I'm in the burbs of NOLA and most folks just drink beer. But I do think something fruity would go well so I wish you luck.

I'm getting old and have boiled more crawfish than beer in my life and have never had anyone ask me for a hurricane to go with their crawfish. I'm guessing you're not from anywhere near the cajun areas. I'm in the burbs of NOLA and most folks just drink beer. But I do think something fruity would go well so I wish you luck.
You guessed it. We're from Iowa. That said, I go to a friend's boil every year and his wife is a coonass, always has hurricanes made up for the occasion.

I'm getting old and have boiled more crawfish than beer in my life and have never had anyone ask me for a hurricane to go with their crawfish.

This is a first for me as well. Here in Baton Rouge the most popular beer to go with crawfish (outside of the BMC light lagers) is Abita Strawberry.

But if you were to make a hurricane beer, I'd think a light wheat ale with something like Amarillo or Ekuanot hops (to simulate the orange), orange zest, a touch of lime zest and passionfruit puree added to secondary would do the trick. Maybe add some rum soaked oak chips for a week.

Back