How to make a good DIY kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycr

Reaction score
Now that I am transitioning from the world of bottling to the world of kegging, things are much easier. However, half my fridge is occupied by a keg, and I only have room for one. As such, while I'm carbing a batch, I'm pretty much out of luck for beer on tap. I'd also like that half of my fridge back for less important things, like food.

I see a lot of awesome homebrew kegerators that can house about 8 kegs and are made from chest freezers. However, my needs are different. I want one that doesn't look out of place in a dining room. I've seen the pre-made ones with 1-3 taps made by companies like Kegco, and they look perfect for my needs. They don't look "homemade", which is what I like about them. I want something that from outward appearances looks like an appliance, not a project.

My question is, has anyone made a kegerator that doesn't look homemade? Can you buy the base fridge they use for the Kegco kegerators and just drill a hole in the top to mount the tap tower on? Does anyone have a recommendation for a base refrigerator to start with?

Here's the kegerator I'd like to model it after: http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/dualkegerator/Kegco_K199SS-2.html

If I wouldn't save any money anyway, I may as well buy it. But I already have the CO2 tank, regulator, connectors, etc. so it would seem I could buy a fridge at Home Depot for $180, the tap tower for $150 and save some money. Any thoughts?

There are a lot of freezer conversions on here that don't look home made and are more like a piece of furniture. Most store bought ones like the one you linked look more like an appliance.

I'm going to piggy-back on this thread. I want to start kegging soon and was thinking the same thing.

This is my dinner table/bar. Obviously different styles could be done to suit the type of room you are going for.

image-272530679.jpg

I would like to jump in on this thread also.. I saw some pics here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/fr...tor-conversion-89013/index44.html#post2530305 by freethinking3 that he made a 4.4 cu ft fridge into a 1/2 barrel kegerator.. I NEED THIS. I'm picking up a 4.4 cu ft Danby from work tomorrow that is scratched for $75 :) and I want to make it happen!I'm just a little concerned about cutting into that back hump, and his pictures don't show much about how he moved things once he cut into the plastic. Has anyone done this??

Wow, some great builds there. They definitely look great.

I would like to jump in on this thread also.. I saw some pics here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/fr...tor-conversion-89013/index44.html#post2530305 by freethinking3 that he made a 4.4 cu ft fridge into a 1/2 barrel kegerator.. I NEED THIS. I'm picking up a 4.4 cu ft Danby from work tomorrow that is scratched for $75 :) and I want to make it happen!I'm just a little concerned about cutting into that back hump, and his pictures don't show much about how he moved things once he cut into the plastic. Has anyone done this??

A trip to Home Depot and Sears this evening showed me that they don't just buy mini-fridges, stick a tower on top, and mark it up $200. Unfortunately. There's tons of vital equipment to move around in the ones I saw. I'm cool with cutting off the panel that holds the can holder, shelves, etc. but many had the compressor in the bottom rear of the interior of the fridge, causing a bump taking up half the fridge, a freezer area at the top taking up half a foot, etc.

I'm not willing to go with the chest freezer option, as it would just take up too much room. I'd love a 25x25 inch footprint or so, as with the commercial kegerators. I'd love to build it into my countertop, but I don't think the apartment managers would be amused. :D

I'm hoping someone knows of a fridge that would be ideal for holding about 3 corny kegs, but if not, I may have to go with the commercial kegerator... There are some good deals on Craigslist for used single-tap ones for around $350. If it would fit two kegs and I could add a two-tap tower, or even if it just has room for two kegs, I may jump on that.

You don't need to cut the back step inside the fridge as long as you remove the shelves on the door.

It all depends on what you want and what your budget is. This doesn't look like a chest freezer, but with taps on front, may look like a project to some.

2013-01-24 11.14.10.jpg

Back