How to label faucets when you have 8 beers on tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

OLD BAR:

In my previous bar I had 4 taps and show what's available like this:

taps.jpg

With "only" 4 taps it works well. It's fairly obvious to someone which tap is for which beer but people still sometimes had problems figuring this out.

NEW BAR:

In my new bar I'm putting in a passthru tower with 8 taps:
8taps.jpg

It will be against a wall with a large chalkboard behind it where the beers will written out from 1 to 8.

Problem is that now it's even harder to find the right handle to pull, so I'm thinking of printing something like these:
TheElectricBrewery_Tap_Numbers600.jpg

On something like these limestone handles:

Lstone.jpg

I really like the modern/contemporary look of these handles (straight/no curves). They should go well with the basement/bar as it will be very modern with lots of natural/textured surfaces. (Think Manhattan lounge, not a UK pub).

These handles would only leave 1/4" of spacing between handles however. Would that look odd? Not leave enough room? I can get the spacing on the tower changed but I'd rather leave it at the standard 3" spacing between tap centers.

Anyone seen any other custom handles available that look more 'modern' than most curvy wood handles?

Kal

You should be chastized for veiled gloating. Didn't your momm teach you that's rude?
That's awsome, dude. Was the setup expensive? you mustr be the most popular guy in the neighborhood

You should be chastized for veiled gloating. Didn't your momm teach you that's rude?
That's awsome, dude. Was the setup expensive? you mustr be the most popular guy in the neighborhood
The new setup's not build yet. Pricing is still being worked out.

Kal

Make your own chalkboard handles..

I did..but they are not as cool as what I think you are looking for.

How about setting up an LED flat screen behind the taps. Run it to a computer where you can run a slide show of the different beers on tap (say.. 8 scrolling screens). Each screen will show information about the beer and perhaps a picture of the tap handle that leads to the beer being advertised on the screen. Have 8 unique handles that are modern, stylish and unique. Or have numbered tap handles..

Perhaps even a screen that is sectioned off in 8 columns. Thus allotting room behind each tap handle for a picture and info.

Just a suggestion.

Have 8 unique handles that are modern, stylish and unique.
Any suggestions? That's partly what I'm looking at trying to find here. I really do like the limestone ones but am open to anything else. I've been looking for some time now.

Kal

With the tower you selected it will be very hard to use any handle other than the standard black one pictured. My local brewery just did a remodel and have 2 of those towers and can't use their tap handles on them because they are too close. They now use the black plastic handles like pictured. If you want something custom I would use a woodel dowel close to the size of the black handle( maybe a bit thicker) and lathe them into shape and simply carve or burn in the #'s 1-8 on them then stain them. If you had that tower in front of you you will see how tight the spacing is.

I think the tap handles with numbers or even stickers made like the hop cones you have above might be a simple and easy solution, if used in combination with the chalk board. Just my 2cents.

I found a picture of something similar to your granite handles in wood. It looks quite uniform - not sure that I ultimately like it though (don't know why). But I would assume the granite would look similar. I think you would have to get use to pouring beer by grabbing the top of the handle only as it doesn't look like there is much room to grab the sides.

Other than granite you could look at concrete, polished or not (sounds funny but its a popular material for many contemporary artists/designers), perhaps glass or incorporate a sheet of lexan with an etched number or letter on it.

Strand%20Tap%20Handles%20550.jpg

I'm out of ideas, back to work. Good luck!

With the tower you selected it will be very hard to use any handle other than the standard black one pictured. My local brewery just did a remodel and have 2 of those towers and can't use their tap handles on them because they are too close. They now use the black plastic handles like pictured. If you want something custom I would use a woodel dowel close to the size of the black handle( maybe a bit thicker) and lathe them into shape and simply carve or burn in the #'s 1-8 on them then stain them. If you had that tower in front of you you will see how tight the spacing is.
Thanks for the heads up. Instead of a 33" long tower with 3" spacing for 8 taps I could go with a 39" tower with 4" spacing. They can do anything.

That would leave 1.25" between handles. If the handle maker can make them 2" wide instead of 2.75" that would leave 2" between handles which is probably enough. (?)

Or take those 2.75" wide handles down to 1.5" and keep the original tower, which leaves 1.5" between handles at the top.

I'll see what they say.

I'll have to mock it up in real life just to see for myself how it 'feels' before I commit. The handles taper to the bottom so it may work.

More ideas/thoughts welcome!
Kal

I found a picture of something similar to your granite handles in wood. It looks quite uniform - not sure that I ultimately like it though (don't know why).
Agreed. one of the issues with the picture above is that it doesn't look easy to pull. You do have to go on the top (no choice) and it just doesn't feel right. I'm being nitpicky of course. But it's my bar so I can be as nitpicky and anal as I want. ;)

The one thing with my taps would be that they would be *really* uniform since mine would all be the same other the number. Even more uniform than the picture above. Smaller handles (narrower/shorter) probably makes more sense. And keep the numbers reasonably small and discrete. You only need to read them when you up near them.

Thanks for the ideas. I do like the idea of something 'natural' like limestone/concrete or even possibly flat/square wood, but on a smaller scale than what was done in the above picture.

Kal

The bars I've seen that have a similar setup and spacing as you have the taps at a 45 degree angle to fit commercial tap handles.

The bars I've seen that have a similar setup and spacing as you have the taps at a 45 degree angle to fit commercial tap handles.
I'm not sure I follow. The taps are actually tilted to the left or to the right at a 45 degree angle such that the handles follow? That must look funny.

Kal

I know what Peter H is talking about... If you look at those wood handles they appear to be flat plank style. If you twist they don't face flat side out... maybe at a 45* angle you can look down the line and read them, but they are thinner becuase they are turned.

Ah! I get it! The taps still point straight up... you just rotate them along the vertical axis so that the label doesn't face straight towards the server but to the side slightly. I think I've seen that as well.

Kal

With 8 taps in a line, I keep picturing using the 1-8 balls from a pool set, and a chalk board behind it. Or put some green felt over a piece of steel and use magnets to hold labels to the felt.

Probably not the idea you're looking for though.

I found a picture of something similar to your granite handles in wood. It looks quite uniform - not sure that I ultimately like it though (don't know why). But I would assume the granite would look similar. I think you would have to get use to pouring beer by grabbing the top of the handle only as it doesn't look like there is much room to grab the sides.

Other than granite you could look at concrete, polished or not (sounds funny but its a popular material for many contemporary artists/designers), perhaps glass or incorporate a sheet of lexan with an etched number or letter on it.

I'm out of ideas, back to work. Good luck!

Holy crap Strand Brewing! I'm friends with those guys. They came up with that tap handle design because it was something they could make for practically nothing. Also originally, their tap handles didn't have the beer names on them, or even the brewery name. Just the logo at the bottom. That picture must be from their taproom which just opened a few weeks ago.

Below is a picture of tap handles at 45 degrees as Peter H talked about... Third from the left is Strand Brewing just to tie in the picture above... ;)

230106_10150192430345785_131940050784_7235356_7541038_n.jpg

Kal

Kal, I think based on your style, the tap handles are a hassle and would not be ascetically balanced for the setup. Keep the normal (black) handles which looks sleek with the chrome tubing.

Then, you should build a digital menu that you can change as you rotate the beer selection. The digital (display) menu would be low key. It would give you something new to design and build.

Kal, I think based on your style, the tap handles are a hassle and would not be ascetically balanced for the setup. Keep the normal (black) handles which looks sleek with the chrome tubing.
But then how to number the taps to keep them straight?

Then, you should build a digital menu that you can change as you rotate the beer selection. The digital (display) menu would be low key. It would give you something new to design and build.
I'm not big on the idea of a powered display for the following reasons:

(1) You have to basically keep it on all the time when you think you may want beers and with a home theater screen around the corner it just wouldn't work (you do not want any extraneous light).
(2) Extra work. You have to turn it on/off to see what's available. Not to mention you have to program it, etc.
(3) Extra power, not very environmentally friendly.
(4) To each their own but I find it a bit cheesy. I would either look like segment LEDs, neon lights, or a flat panel display. All of which I don't think would look that nice. But that's just me. Others may say the same about a chalkboard.

Kal

What about using number stickers in silver or something else that would stand out against the black of the existing handles? Something like this:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/Products/OL237SF.htm

If you can find the right size, they could be applied directly to the front of the handle where they are visible, and then you could use a chalkboard like you'd previously used.

Ok how about this... You're going to be putting this against a wall right?. What if you put hooks on the wall, and you can build signs with eyelets over each tap. When you put a beer on tap, you hang the sign on the wall above the tap. This will make it adjustable. You can build signs any number of ways. And then simply put numbered stickers on the black tap handles.

But then how to number the taps to keep them straight?

I don't know - how often will you have guests who's normal method of reading is right to left like Arabic?

Not meant to be snarky, really isn't but if I see a sign that said #5 Brown Eyed Ale - I easily mentally count 5 from the left and pull a pint. If I've been drinking to a point where I can no longer count, probably a pretty good sign to stop.

Totally love your set up but if I found the handles I wanted - design wise, I don't think I'd worry too much about people being able to figure out just which tap was number 3 or 6 etc, I'd find the style I like the best aesthetically and rock on.

Thanks Andrew. You'd be surprised... even with my old 4 tap setup I have just about everyone new asks....

They see this:

taps.jpg

And then they put a finger on (say) tap #1 and ask "So this is the Blonde Lager?".

Confuses me, but everyone seems to ask. This is before they start drinking. ;)

Kal

Kal,

Not sure if you've seen these.

Tap Handles

The BOD ones allow you to print an insert that goes inside the tap handle. I have three of these on my kegerator and love them. You could print up your numbered sheets and have the taps labeled 1-8. They're available with plastic or metal caps.

If you wanted to spend a bit more, they have nicer all metal ones that they can engrave.

Metal Tap Handles

Or

Another Metal Option

That 2nd link is a pretty slick option. You could tape off blank handles. and do a light sandblast on them to get an "etched" number on the handle and have the shiney chrome.

Reaver said:
That 2nd link is a pretty slick option. You could tape off blank handles. and do a light sandblast on them to get an "etched" number on the handle and have the shiney chrome.

After looking at the metal ones again, it appears they also have an insert that goes in them for labeling. Still pretty nice looking though.

How about the chalk board or dry erase style handles, just alternate long and short ones. long for the first tap, short for the second and so on (providing the length difference allows the short one's "board" to be below the long one). That way you can write the beer style/name on the tap and have clearance between handles.

Not meant to be snarky, really isn't but if I see a sign that said #5 Brown Eyed Ale - I easily mentally count 5 from the left and pull a pint. If I've been drinking to a point where I can no longer count, probably a pretty good sign to stop.

Totally love your set up but if I found the handles I wanted - design wise, I don't think I'd worry too much about people being able to figure out just which tap was number 3 or 6 etc, I'd find the style I like the best aesthetically and rock on.

So I've been going back and forth with my basement & bar designer guy as things get ironed out and he's on the same thought as you Andrew as you wrote above, that you shouldn't need to label them.

The more I thnk about it, the more I tend to agree. Keep it simple.

Been looking at and considering this T-tower as well instead of the passthroug I originally thought about:

METRO-T-8PSSKR_M12_MG_7761_V_600.jpg

This thing is less wide so it fits in the space a bit better (taps are 2.5" spacing instead of 3"). The taps are also in groups of 4 so easier to count I suppose? I think it looks good just as is with simple little tap handles like above. No need for anything larger/fancier.

The bonus is that I can use this drip tray with glass rinser too and save a little bit if depth because of the cutout:

DP-MET-T-24GR_M12_MG_0543_V_600.jpg

The basement & bar is going is fairly modern (think New York club, not British pub) and this seems to fit well in terms of style.

Directly behind the taps will be a chalkboard where I can write 1-8 to show what's what.

Trying to decide on which simple tap handles out of the first 3 (gold is out):
4301,-4301-CH,-4301-CHP,-4301-GP.jpg

If anyone has other simple/narrow/small/modern tap handle suggestions I'm all ears too. They don't have to be custom. Just simple/linear/modern.

Kal

I like them to, I just don't think they'll work right in the space we're setting up.

Kal

what sort of "modern" theme are you going with? I think 4301-CHP probably would look the best, but what about using an exotic wood blank.

It would be basically like this Peroni tap handle.
Web_Peroni_metal.jpg

If you use the black plastic handles, you could just put a round numbered sticker on the top of the handle. Although, I do like the metal look.

Otherwise, if the taps will be on the wall, just get a long chalkboard and list the beers horizontally. Put them at a tilt or use arrows etc.
chalkboard11.png

what sort of "modern" theme are you going with?
We haven't gotten to the stage where we pick finishes, but here are some inspirational pictures to show what I think when I say "modern bar":

modern-home-bar-designs-1.jpg

modern-bar-area-at-The-Opposite-House-Hotel.jpg

3630373079_ca97f607ff_o.jpg

A lot of darker colours, natural stone/wood/metal/etc. Straight lines.
Not modern as in retro plastic stuff with lots of curves.

I think 4301-CHP probably would look the best, but what about using an exotic wood blank.

It would be basically like this Peroni tap handle.
Web_Peroni_metal.jpg

Interesting. It would be narrow.

Any ideas where to get them? I suppose I could make them pretty easily. Buy some exotic wood, cut & stain, then stick a stainless ferrule on the end.

Kal

The chrome handles you posted above look pretty good... but I'd throw in my vote for the Branding-On-Demand as well.

I have a couple of them that I picked up with my kegerator from BeverageFactory, and they're super simple to mark what's on tap. They provide a PDF template that you can overlay with your own design, print on regular paper, and then slip between the black plastic center (which has screws onto the faucet lever) and the outer clear acrylic (which fits like a glove, and snugs between the lever and the handle)
You could either print your numbers there and leave them permanently attached, or skip the chalk/wipe-board and just print what you've brewed as you need them. I used a stock photo of a red ale for one of mine, big cartoon-y mug of root beer for another, when I filled a corny of yuengling (from a sankey I store in another fridge) I was able to print out the yuengling logo- not quite as nice as the real brewery handle, but good enough some asked if it was.

Iqqt1.jpg

I still plan to get some brewery handles for a few of my favorites, but I'm in no way ashamed of this look (well, except where I bunched up the red ale insert... need to reprint that one)
I plan to buy more.

Oh, and they do make the same style in chrome, so you wouldn't even have the black at the end:

Back