How to keep a barrel cool in a hot garage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
Anyone have any good ideas on how to keep a oak barrel cool during the summer if I store my barrel in a hot garage that gets up to mid to high 80s during the summer? I would like to keep it low 70s, high 60s preferably... but...
Would a AC unit blowing right onto the barrel connected to a temp controller connected to a thermowel in the barrel work at all or would it be a ton of energy and not much cooling?
Any other good ideas? Anyone else do this and have good luck with any particular ways?

Thanks!

I'm guessing that the AC unit would cost a lot of energy and it's ability to get down to temp would depend on its BTUs. Given that the average sized AC can do a decent job of getting a large room from the 80s into the high sixties fairly effectively, I wouldn't discount this option if you don't mind the electricity bill.

The best option that costs nothing might be to brew something that can tolerate warm temps, such as a Saison.

You could also search out a second hand refrigerator and use it as a fermentation chamber, although your description of the barrel suggests that a chest freezer might be more suitable.

Yet another option would be to find an even larger barrel and use it to make a swamp cooler.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

But a garage isn't insulated and usually has ventilation. At the same time it's not horribly hot if it won't get too high into the 80's. It may work OK I suppose, but you'd need a plan B such as building a small "room" for it that you could install that A/C so as not to be out the money for your efforts.

When it gets hot I fill the bathtub in our master bath with water and put the fermenters in. Keeps them at about 66 degrees - good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sorry I guess I should have specified, this is a sour Flanders red I have in the barrel. The barrel is a 60 gallon french oak barrel. It is not a small 5-10gallon oak barrel.

Back