How to improve head retention in glasses washed with soap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
So the recent threads about head retention and the experiments done using water, StarSan, OxiClean, dishwasher, etc. have got me wanting to optimize my head retention (if you have no idea what I'm talking about it is quite possible I was reading these threads on /r/homebrewing, I can't remember if it was there or here). The results of the experiments showed that cleaning glasses with a StarSan soak and air drying them provided far and away the best head retention, while soap killed it entirely.

So here is my situation... all of my beer glasses have been washed in the dishwasher, with detergent, JetDry, etc. as well as hand washed with dish soap. All of these are known head-killers. Is there a way I can reverse this and get good head retention? Maybe just soak them in StarSan for a while and air dry them?

Slightly wet the glassware with warm water, add baking soda and go at it with a clean scouring pad. Rinse with cool water and test by rimming with salt. If the salt stick to the walls of the glass then you are good. Repeat until you reach desired results.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

After washed in the dishwasher I have been pulling them during the start of the dry cycle and using a sponge in Star San to wipe out any residue, rinse, and place back in for the dry cycle.

But I've been told it's unnecessary as I hand wash with liquid dish soap and then run on the light cycle also using hand washing dish soap. I don't use any sort of drying agent as who ever used this dishwasher prior ruined it. I'm told it's not an issue. I tried it, but with beer I'm having carbonation issues with so I'll be trying it with some Sierra Nevada beer soon, likely tomorrow.

I dont think i've "washed" my beer glasses in years. I just run them under hot water for 30 seconds or so. *shrugs* works for me.

Back