How to fix over-hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezzoblue

Reaction score
I brewed a Cascade SMaSH on the weekend and through both a software glitch (my fault) and a mash problem (probably also my fault) I ended up with an OG of 1.040 instead of 1.060.

My hop bill was intended for the much higher gravity (6.5oz Cascade, 60 IBU with a bunch of late-additions), so after a few days I'm pretty much at terminal gravity and really not happy with how the flavour profile is shaping up. Thin-bodied, no balance, all hops, and excessively bitter.

I really only have two thoughts about what to do next. Would love to hear opinions or alternate suggestions.

Idea 1 - dry hop. I was favouring late-additions over dry-hopping for this one, but I'm now wondering if an oz or two of extra Cascade in secondary might increase aroma and slightly help take the focus away from the bitterness. It seems counter-intuitive that the fix for excessive hoppiness is more hops, but I'm wondering if it might just work.

Idea 2 - bottle and let it sit for 6 months. Let time drop out some of the acids.

That's all I've got. Any other ideas?

The unconventional side of me would brew another batch, same grain bill but less hops, then blend. Balls to the wall, baby.

In this situation, would adding dry malt extract (boiled for like 5 min) be beneficial? Or possible bottling with DME?

I'm wondering the same thing. I over-hopped and am looking for a way to fix it. Don't let the LHBS talk you into changing your recipe.

Boil and add some maltodextrine for body and then dryhop to balance the bitterness. Maybe intoduce a new hop for complexity. Willamette plays well with cascade.

Hard to believe, too much hops right? :D

I just did a simliar thing. Brewed a pale with a ton of late kettle hops.. all in the last 8 mins. it was a 10 gallon batch, split into 2 kegs. The 1st keg went on CO2 right away and was grainy/vegative for the 1st 2-3 weeks. It started to mellow out in the 4th-5th week.

Then, I swapped out that keg for the 2nd keg which had been sitting at room temp for 5 weeks. It has almost no grainy/vegative flavor. The hop character is much better, although I taste a bit of oxidation .. slight cardboard taste.

I think aging your beer is your best bet. Purge out any oxygen from the head space, and age it a few weeks at room temp, and/or age a few more weeks at cellar temps. Should notice a big difference after 4-6 weeks...

Good luck!
-LexusChris

Thanks, I'll give it some time to mellow then. Just brewed yesterday so I'll let it ferment thoroughly, cold crash and secondary for at least 3 weeks. I've got a 10 gallon batch split into 2, one of which is fermenting hot and the other cool. I'll keep you posted on the results. It'll basically be an Imperial Saison.

jbock220 said:
Thanks, I'll give it some time to mellow then. Just brewed yesterday so I'll let it ferment thoroughly, cold crash and secondary for at least 3 weeks. I've got a 10 gallon batch split into 2, one of which is fermenting hot and the other cool. I'll keep you posted on the results. It'll basically be an Imperial Saison.

I would wait more than 1 day to make an assumption that it is over-hopped. Even low hopped wort tastes pretty hoppy until fermented and aged a bit.

I concur with Lexus I didn't think such a thing was possible. Anyhow I wouldn't start adding things to increase the body just yet. As skeezer pointed out tasting a beer right from the fermenter will be much more bitter then after it has had a chance to settle out hop particles condition and carobnate and so on. If after all that you still think its too bitter then yes time might be your best friend however usually the core bitterness is the last thing that starts to fade after hop aroma and flavor.

Latest posts

Back