How to cover your keggle for mashing with BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For father's day I received a wort chiller from Norcal Brewing Solutions. I went with the big one 1/2 inch 50 foot copper chiller that would fit my keggle. Well I need to enlarge the opening for it to fit. So my neighbor has a plasma cutter at work and said he would be happy to take care of it for me! How awesome, right? Well I asked him to cut the entire top off (not where the handles are) but the rest of the lip that kept the chiller from fitting. I thought this would be better for future BIAB brews b/c I always felt like I might rip my nice Wilsner bag no matter how careful I am pulling it out. I'll take pictures tonight when he returns home with it.

Well now I'm wondering what can I use to cover the keggle to keep the temps stable to mash? I'm sure others are in this situation but all I find (searching) are others using 12 inch lids, but that won't work now. I do recall someone using a rubbermaid trash can and insulating it and what not, but I am not ready to go that far yet. ;) LOL Just a simple lid or cover will do. Any thoughts, suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

I cut out circles of Reflectix and glued them together (rotating each layer so that they wouldn't curl once they were glued). I cut it so that it went all the way to the outside edge of the keg, bigger than the opening, and then I just wedge it down in there snug.

I cut out circles of Reflectix and glued them together (rotating each layer so that they wouldn't curl once they were glued). I cut it so that it went all the way to the outside edge of the keg, bigger than the opening, and then I just wedge it down in there snug.

Ok what glue did you use to keep the layers together? I'm not sure what is safe that won't destroy the material but also hold up to he heat and humidity. Thanks! [emoji106]

I use a cheap foam yoga mat I bought off Amazon. I cut out slots for the handles, ball valve and thermometer. I cut it to size so it wraps around the kettle and had enough to use the "trim" to cover the lid. A bungee holds it in place.

It works well for me and cost less than $20, plus it rolls up nicely for easy storage.

I use a cheap foam yoga mat I bought off Amazon. I cut out slots for the handles, ball valve and thermometer. I cut it to size so it wraps around the kettle and had enough to use the "trim" to cover the lid. A bungee holds it in place.

It works well for me and cost less than $20, plus it rolls up nicely for easy storage.

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Also, thanks to the others for your feedback. I'll look into those suggestions as well.

Back