How to Cook 50 Hot Dogs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We have my 5yo son's b-day party with about 50 people on Sat and I'm cooking dogs for the group. I'm not about to fire up briquettes to grill this many dogs for a bunch of kids.

Was thinking about
  1. Simmering them street-cart-style in a stock pot. I thought this would be easiest to facilitate the quantity of dogs.
  2. Steaming them in a basket in a stock pot. Might have snappier skin than simmering.
  3. Cooking them in the oven in a big roasting pan. I've done this with fewer dogs, but its harder to keep warm/serve.

What would you guys do?

Simmer. They always taste good off the cart and I simmer them when it is too cold to grill up here (-25F).

5 year olds?

Simmer. Easiest to do, easy to keep warm for different eating schedules, and if a 5 year old complains about his/her hot dog, call 'em a hot dog EAC. :D

What would be so bad about lighting the grill for that? I know it is a lot but dogs cook really quick.

TBH it depends on the type of dog that it is. If it's a Nathans of a Heb Nat or a local fairly decent quality dog flat iron griddle, possibly steam,. If it's just some PoS Oscar Meyer or Ball Park or something then simmer is just fine. If it's a natural casing then you griddle them . . .

One thing to remember if you do simmer them JUST simmer them. DO NOT boil them then turn them down

Natty casings, steamed in a basket. Steam the buns too.

Now I want a hot dog.

I simmered them in a big pot and it worked great. Followed the no-boil advice.
Dogs were pretty good(not great), and the logistics were MUCH better. Would definitely do this again. Prolly try beer simmer w/ onions next time.

Naw, you gotta put them on a gas grill and leave them there until they resemble a jerky stick.

At least that's what the sports boosters do at our high school football games...

My wife found a new method (to us) while looking at stuff for my son's birthday this past summer. You just toss them all into a crockpot. No water. It browns them a bit, but not as much as a grill. They turned out good.

CrockPot Hot Dogs | Taste of Home Community

I like this idea too, and have had dogs at other peoples house. Both my crockpots were filled with chili, however. :)

I'm guessing a flaming brew kettle to boil them in, set-up in the backyard is off limits?

I realize it's mainly a kids party, but 50 dogs for 50 mouths seems a bit light. Figure any of the male adults will want at least two, maybe four. Probably a couple fat kids that want 2. There will be at least one that falls to the ground and gets scavenged by your dog. Then there's the one or two that you will eat raw before you start cooking.

Back