How to clear my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verio

Reaction score
So, I've brewed a simple Wheat beer for 10 days in the Primary, and racked it to the seconday. In the secondary I added 1 1/2lbs of puree'd Blackberries. It's been in the secondary for almost 2 weeks. Almost everything has settled except for some yeast rafts on top, and some nasty looking shtuff, that I can only assume is parts of the puree'd blackberries.

Stuff is floating up and down in the secondary (it sinks to the bottom, then floats back to the top). How can I get my beer to get more clear?

What did you use for yeast? Wheats aren't really meant to clear that much.

Well, I enjoy the cloudiness of Wheat beers, Im just concerned about all the crap floating on top. It's a bit scurry.

I used Wyeat German Yeast... forget the # :-\

ah. gotcha.

Do you think you can rack from under it? I've used isingglass with success before, not sure it would work in this case. Cold crashing may help. Bentonite would almost certainly work, but I'm not sure I'd use that on a beer I intended to carb....its more for ciders/wines.

Even with cold crashing, I still get a layer of muck and yeast left floating on the top of the carboy. As long as you are careful when you rack it, it all gets left behind with the trub and a bit of beer.

Even with cold crashing, I still get a layer of muck and yeast left floating on the top of the carboy. As long as you are careful when you rack it, it all gets left behind with the trub and a bit of beer.

Thanks I'll try and be extra careful with this one.

It looks awful good... just gotta try a sample now :)

"Bobbers" are an indication of semi-active fermentation what was your OG and have you taken a gravity reading recently? I would take a gravity reading to see if you hit your target then wait for another day or two then another reading if stays the same rack from underneath of "floatys". 2 weeks isn't always the standard. I left a Weizen in primary for about 4 months (i forgot about it) and it was the ****.

Ok, so I took a Hydrometer sample, and it's definitely done fermenting, and has been for a few days. There are all kinds of crap floating in the beer, to the point it's almost disgusting. I tried to filter the sample through my fine fine sifter, and I pulled A LOT of stuff out, but I couldn't even take a second drink. It just tasted off, and the floaties inside made it really unappetizing.

Can I filter it through a paper filter or something? It wont matter if I rack to a tertiary, because it's all throughout the beer, and isn't just sitting on the bottom.

What temperature do I need to "cold crash" at? It gets cold at night, and then heats right back up to 60-80 degrees here in Texas. Should I just leave it outside for a few days??

I'm not ready to toss it, but if I can't get it cleaner, I wont drink it.

For cold crashing you want to get close to freezing for a couple days. If you have room in your fridge or kegerator if you have one that's the best bet.

Good luck!

try getting one of those over sized grain bags and put it in a bucket than carefully poor your beer into the bucket and remove the bag. filtered. should get most of that stuff out

Latest posts

Back