How often or when to take gravity readings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's another newbie question!!! Sorry guys. LOL So I brewed the Conundrum Session IPA from Northern Brewer last week, took the original gravity reading and pitched the yeast (Safale S-04) a week ago. I feel that the primary fermentation has already finished but I don't want to open my lid to my FastFerment conical fermenter too early.

From what I have read & believe it's ok to take the first gravity reading after primary fermentation is complete, is that correct? Is it too early to take the first reading since pitching the yeast a week later? Also, how often should one take gravity readings?

Thanks everyone!!

The ft may drop a couple points even after primary is done as the yeast are cleaning up and finishing up any of the remaining sugars. I used to check at day 10 and 14 now I just check at day 10 and dry hop, If you pitch healthy yeast in an appropriate amount you should hit your fg number in a couple days but you want the yeast to clean up a little.

I pay NO ATTENTION for at least 3 weeks. Got plenty cold beer in the refer so I'm in no rush. I check after 3 or 4 weeks at bottling time and if it's near expected FG then into the bottles.

I say take a measurement. You are new to brewing and measuring gravity will help you learn how fast and complete fermentation is taking place with your setup. Yes you risk contamination by opening things up, but as longs as your are taking the steps to make sure everything is sanitized, then measure away. When you know your setup and are comfortable with the process, you can sit back like C-Rider and wait for when you think things are at FG. Overall your approach to leaving things and not introducing any contaminates is a good way of thinking though.

Do it now! i usually check after 7-10 days although i checked after 5 before, depending on lack of activity. after the initial check, check again in a few days, if the reading matches your good to go to your next step. It really depends on whether or not you have something to drink already or need something to drink. Plus i don't believe that you are going to ruin a batch by taking a quick gravity read.

i took more than I do now when I first started brewing. I think that's a good idea so you can learn whatever you can about the process.
Now, I only take an OG reading and an FG reading after about 3 weeks in the primary as I'm kegging it. These days, I really only take a gravity reading to see how much abv I made.

If you are using a FastFerment conical, can't you just take your sample from the valve at the bottom? That way you don't have to worry about introducing any sort of infection.

Since you are new to this, I would say to go ahead and take a sample to see how fermentation is progressing.

Personally, I have just gotten to the point where I leave all of my (low OG ale) batches for 2 weeks and then bottle (as long as the krausen and airlock activity acted normal). I still take a hydrometer reading at bottling time just to make sure it is where I expected it to be.

I keg now so I often forget to take an FG reading. When I bottle I check the OG, ferment for 2-3 weeks, take 1 FG reading. If it is what I expect and had no reason to assume any problems I go ahead and bottle it. If unsure I wait another day and take another reading.

Longer is almost always better than shorter. Be sure to let the beer finish. I have left beers in primary in a PET fermenter for about 2 months a few times with no issues.

I try to minimize gravity readings and leave the beer alone as most I can. Especially with hop forward beers to minimize oxygen exposure. Ill usually do a reading 10-14 days after pitching, let it sit another few days or up to a week and then keg or bottle. Ive gotten pretty used to how my various yeasts perform and sometimes dont take a final FG for kegging. Its easier now to wait it out since Ive got 5 or 6 fermenting at any given time. I dont feel the need to rush any of them

Longer is almost always better than shorter. Be sure to let the beer finish. I have left beers in primary in a PET fermenter for about 2 months a few times with no issues.

+1 to this. I usually leave mine in 2 weeks, check gravity, cold crash then keg. I also like to let my wort raise in temp the last day or two so the yeast can clean up and make sure I have some nice clear beer!

:mug:

I pay NO ATTENTION for at least 3 weeks. Got plenty cold beer in the refer so I'm in no rush. I check after 3 or 4 weeks at bottling time and if it's near expected FG then into the bottles.

I do this too.

Take an OG reading, wait about 3 weeks, check for FG. If it looks "off" from what I'm expecting, wait 2 or 3 days and check again.

These days, I really only take a gravity reading to see how much abv I made.

Me, too. I take the OG as I transfer to the fermenter, wait two weeks, then take the FG as I bottle. I brew mid-gravity beers and they're always done after two weeks in the primary. I've even thought about not taking the FG because I've never failed to be within a point or so of what I calculated. I like to take the OG to keep an eye on my efficiency, but that rarely varies anymore, either.

But when you're starting out, trying different recipes, or using new equipment it's better to take too many measurements than too few.

This man must have all kinds of other things to do that he doesn't need to think about his beers currently fermenting.

Me, on the other hand, I have a 2 week fermentation cycle, then beer gets kegged. I usually check the gravity when I'm ready to keg and if it's not done in 2 weeks, then it's not going to get any lower. But that almost never happens.
This depends if I'm fermenting in kegs or a bucket. If in kegs, it's MUCH easier to get a gravity reading, so I'll usually take one at a week. In buckets, I don't want to open the lid if I don't have to before I keg, so I wait on that till I'm ready to keg or bottle.

This man must have all kinds of other things to do that he doesn't need to think about his beers currently fermenting.

Me, on the other hand, I have a 2 week fermentation cycle, then beer gets kegged. I usually check the gravity when I'm ready to keg and if it's not done in 2 weeks, then it's not going to get any lower. But that almost never happens.
This depends if I'm fermenting in kegs or a bucket. If in kegs, it's MUCH easier to get a gravity reading, so I'll usually take one at a week. In buckets, I don't want to open the lid if I don't have to before I keg, so I wait on that till I'm ready to keg or bottle.

:mug: LOL Yup, bowl 3 days a week, hike 2 days a week (weather permitting). Retirembent is GREAT.. :rockin: My beer ferments in buckets out under the deck in a freezer so taking samples in it is a pain and since I'm in no rush I just wait.

I check at 7 days, and if it's close to my estimated FG again at 10, if it's stable I'm ready to package, if not I check at 14 again. Usually always finished by then.

I take a gravity ready before I pitch yeast and then I don't take one again until I package my beer. I mostly keg, so I'm not too worried about bottle bombs, but I wouldn't change anything if I were bottling. I think for a newbie it is extremely important to practice patients and leaving your beer alone. I think a ruined a few batches early on in the hobby because of messing around with it too much.

On 90% of the beers you are going to brew the fermentation is going to be complete in 5-7 days, maybe even sooner.

If you are using a FastFerment conical, can't you just take your sample from the valve at the bottom? That way you don't have to worry about introducing any sort of infection.

I did take a reading and I did use the filling tube/connection to get my sample. Why I didn't say I would use this method from the beginning is probably b/c I'm still getting use to my conical fermenter. :cross:

Anyways, I emptied the collection ball too while I was at it and there was a good amount of trub and yeast (from what I can tell). The beer smelled great and I tasted a little bit from the sample I pulled for my hydrometer reader when I was done. It tasted like beer, but I think it has some ways to go.

So, the target OG was 1.045 (Conundrum Session IPA)and I had 1.038 on 7/29/15. Today's reading clocked in at 1.012. I'm thinking it's done or close to being done. I leave tomorrow for the weekend and return Sunday night. It would probably be a good time to take one more reading to confirm.

Thank you all for your valuable input!

I look at my wort every day. When I don't notice yeast activity (usually 5-8 days depending on yeast) then I take a reading. I take another 2 - 3 days later. If the readings in the second day, I take one the next day and if everything looks good I put in into a secondary.

For new brewers, longer is usually better, as new brewers usually aren't pitching enough, aerating properly, or properly controlling ferment properly. However, when fermentation management is on point, no reason beer can't be done very quickly. But it's also very important for new brewers to actually check to make sure gravity is stable.

I usually package at 2 or 3 weeks, depending on the beer, but that's more because of when I have time to bottle. If I could keg, I'd probably do some sooner. I have some beers (my house Mild and Bitter) that are usually ready for packaging by about 5 days after pitching yeast. I just don't usually package then, but no reason I couldn't.

The key lesson is that the beer is done when it's done, and done doesn't just mean "at final gravity". There's some cleanup too. However, at lot of folks parrot the idea that beer needs longer to clean up than it actually does. In a proper fermentation, the cleanup phase should be finished 24-48 hours after reaching FG. If the fermentation management isn't good (poor pitch rate, poor yeast health, poor aeration, poor temp control, or any combo thereof) then it can take longer to reach FG and take longer to condition afterwards.

Point is, if it's not done, you need to wait until it is. Stable gravity, plus no residual compounds like acetaldehyde and diacetyl (or in some cases where they're allowed acceptable levels of). If the gravity is stable and the beer doesn't taste green, then you can go ahead and package it. No point waiting longer.

Eventually you'll reach a point where you know about where the gravity should finish (especially when brewing something you've brewed before), so you know right away if it's not done or if there's a problem, and if it's about where it should be, you can tell by taste if it's done or still working. Until you reach that point, I'd suggest confirming 3 days of unchanged gravity before packaging.

Back