How often do you open your keezer / kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitana

Reaction score
First let me say I love this forum. :rockin:

I'm pretty new to homebrewing but I'm loving it and since I'm a DYIer there's definitely a keezer in my future down the line. I have been looking at different options design-wise and have something in mind that would look awesome but would make opening the lid more of a chore. It would be ok if I only open it once a week or so, but not if it's a daily thing.

How often do you open yours?

Depends if you are going to also use the fridge for storage of yeast, hops, etc. Also if you are going to keep bottled beer in there as well.

If it is strictly for kegs, you will only open it when you need to take a keg out, put a keg in, or change co2.

I only lift mine when swapping out kegs, changing CO2, and when I rarely bottle off the kegs. The coffin style looks cool...but I'm glad I went with the collar.

I open mine everyday that I pull a pint. Not each time I pull but but at the start of the first drink. I do this to check that nothing has leaked, CO2 is not empty and because I like to look at it. I too have have a collar and not a coffin style. I like the collar style.

I just got into home brewing and I decided right off the bat I was not going to bottle. my beer was almost done in the primary so I got a used craig's list chest freezer last weekend and my johnson controller come yesterday. I kegged it last sat in my minifridge but moved it into the chest yesterday. I am not DYING to get a collar on it but it would beat opening the freezer up everytime I need a beer. speaking of which I am going to get one now.

Thank you guys for the replies. I don't think I would use it to store anything else, so I guess after I'm comfortable with things being ok inside I wouldn't be opening it too often.

I will post when I start actually building it. I have learned a lot from all the wonderful keezer build threads in this forum.

Mine gets opened daily, but that's because I use one of the drawers in it to store chopped up veggies for my iguana. I also use it for storing a small number of bottled beers, all of my hops, jars with yeast, etc. The freezer has all of our mugs/glasses too.

I use cobra picnic taps and store sodas, bottled beer, etc. in it so it gets opened frequently. I've started building a collar but am not in a rush to get it going as the taps will cost a few bucks.

Back