How often do you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyworld

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and want to do a brew a month. I'm considering cutting back a bit but I'm failing so far :D -- there aren't enough months in a year! I figure if they only get better in the bottle, who cares if I have a surplus? Plus who doesn't want a nice variety of beer styles all year 'round.

How often do you all brew? Four times a year? Once every month? Twice a month?

My current choke point is available bottles, until I get my stocks up. Otherwise, I'd probably do one every 2-3 weeks, when the fermenter frees up. As you say, it doesn't hurt to have a surplus.

I try to brew every 2-3 weeks, but sometimes it get to be more like 2-3 months. Hate those times, since I have to spend my money of micro-brews vice brewing supplies.

I've been pretty steady during the winter at about 3 times a month. I'm trying to stock up for the summer so I don't have to turn my apartment into a hot box.

every other week if things go right. and 10 gal. at a time now that the weather is getting warmer. all I can say is my friends and neighbors love me.

phone rings..dude next door asks"hey, still got some beer don't you"..well yes I do. "cool I'll grab my mug and be over". but its cool. I break out the beer,and hey break out the budda..... :cross:

kiddn... well, kinda.

im running into bottle issues would like to get into kegging but thats an investment and unemployed man can make right now. If i had the bottles i would like to brew every couple weeks.

I brew every week, and a two gallon batch every other week on top of that. But I really need to start kegging I am getting a little tired of bottling. Except my specialty beers; I think I will always bottle those.

See I don't understand why bottles can be such a huge issue. I've asked around and gotten about 20 bottles each from the last two people I asked and they're likely to save more for me now that they know I'm brewing. I'll just throw them a few full ones in return.

But if I was that desperate for bottles, I would honestly go to a beer distributor or grocery store and catch people outside before they returned them and give them double the deposit. $4.50 for two cases is worth is well worth it in my opinion. Obviously, this probably won't work for everyone.

Not nearly as often as I would like to!

Right now, I am hitting about one batch a month. A fair part of it has to do with my diet, and lack of intake of a certain fermented goodness. Been trying to mostly look at big beers with long conditioning times to have something waiting for me at the finish line.

Beer and onion rings has now been replaced by skim milk and arugula. Of course, this gives me more time to conspire about all the brewing-related projects that I need to start (or finish).

I brew as often as humanly possible I have been going every 2 weeks sense this year started and only have enough supplies for 3 more batches, and I'm brewing tomorrow so in a month I may need to get more stuff. May start working on an all grain set up pretty soon or make a batch of mead

I brew as often as SWMBO would let me.. If i could Id do it weekly.. however full time work / full time school / and an infant allows me 0 brew time. I havnt brewed in 6 months.

My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and im looking forward to brewing as a birthday present!

In the winter I brew once every two months or so because my house is so cold I have to put my primary in a tub of water w/ an aquarium heater to keep the temp correct and it is a major PIA.

In the summer I brew about twice a month because I have a fridge w/ a temp control that lets me regulate perfectly w/ no effort at all.

I have really been on and off with the frequency of my brewing.
A few years ago I was pretty much on schedule for once a month consistently.
Then the year before last I was brewing a bit more often; roughly once every three weeks.

Last year we bought a house so I didn't brew for a couple months prior in order to clear out my pipeline in advance of the move, and then didn't have time to brew after moving, and then ran into a snag with my system breaking at the end of the year, so I ended up brewing only 6 times the whole year.

So far this year I've brewed 4 times, and will brew again this weekend. So I guess that works out to roughly once every two weeks. But once my pipeline fills up I will stop, so it could be around July or August I don't brew for a couple months, or maybe brew up a couple batches that need to condition for a long time.

If I drink less, I brew less. If I drink more, I brew more. I usually brew once a month, but lately I've been doing 10 gallon batches, so unfortunately I don't need to brew as much. Plus summer is coming and I'm cutting down on the calories. Less drinking during the week. It's sucks.. My kegs never seem end( which I guess isn't a bad thing). I miss brewing.

I brewed 13 5-gal batches in the last 10 months. I try to brew about every 3-weeks so that comes out about right. Keeps the homebrew in constant supply with extra for sharing/storing. It's much, much easier now that I have begun buying in bulk, milling my own grains, and re-using my yeast. I don't have to figure out a convenient time make a run to the homebrew store, I can brew whenever I feel like it!

Once a month, two beers and an apfelwein every brew day. This allows me to never run out of beer. For a while I did it every two weeks, but for me that ended up being like a chore after several months. "Oh man brew day already?!"

Right now, for me, once a month works great. Plenty of time for the batches to ferment completely before kegging, and not too many brew days to take time away from the wife and kids.

If I had time I'd brew once a week but alas I don't. As it stands I brew 6 gallons (ends up a little over 5 after losses) every other week.

Even working two jobs (one of which is at my LHBS) and with a three year old, I make time to brew once a week. I usually dough in as everyone is getting ready for bed. Brewing is somewhat meditative for me and I enjoy getting a little "me" time each week. Helps keep me sane. Plus my friends love the abundance and variety of beer in the beer fridge! ;-)

It varies a lot for me. I brewed 12 batches in the first 6 months of 2010, and 3 batches the last 6 months. This year, I've brewed twice, and am hoping to end up around 15 batches for the year. I've upgraded to 10g batches, so it'll still end up double the volume! :D

Sometimes managing a restaurant + SWMBO + three kids + intermittent, blatant laziness = less brewing.

whenever it's not cold as hell outside or the wife doesn't have me doing something

every two weeks. the only time I deviate from that is if there is a GRABASS brew gathering that doesn't line up with my regular schedule.

I go on spells. once a week for 6 weeks and then once a month. And then I will not make beer for 2 months and then get froggy and make a batch a week for a month. But I probably average 15-20 batches a year.

If fantasyland I'd do 2 or 3 batches a week, but in reality I was making 1 or 2 a month last summer, but it's slowed down a bit since having a baby last October. I've made 3 batches since she was born.

kingmatt said:
In the winter I brew once every two months or so because my house is so cold I have to put my primary in a tub of water w/ an aquarium heater to keep the temp correct and it is a major PIA.

In the summer I brew about twice a month because I have a fridge w/ a temp control that lets me regulate perfectly w/ no effort at all.

Why not just lager in the winter?

Ive brewed 3 batches since 1/1 and plan to brew this weekend. Owning a home and growing ny own hops this year I have no doubt the frequency will be less this summer. Probably my biggest bottleneck is my kegerator... only 2 taps. Really wish I had gone with a keezer and had more taps available.

Usually once a week for me. I give a lot away to friends and family. Just ordered material for 6 more batches.

Im new to brewing. Just started this year. So far ive brewed 6 5gal batches. I dont know if that means im addicted but I will take the addiction. The last 4 batches my friends came over and it was a blast. Making great beer with great friends. Plus now i have my own beer to drink while making beer. This beer brewing thing is the best christmas gift ive gotten in a long time!

Back