how much sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsoda

Reaction score
I have a few basic sugar questions. for carbing

First how much dextrose sugar do i need to add to my bottling bucket to carbonate a 5 gal batch? "in cups".
(i dont have a scale - its on the list.)

Second - can I use table sugar, brown sugar, or corn surup instead?

No to the corn syrup! Some brands have vanilla and other ingredients, plus it's hard to know exactly how much you need for priming, since some is liquid.

You could use table sugar or brown sugar, though. I'd skip the brown sugar, since a "cup" of brown sugar can vary significantly depending on how much you pack it down.

I like dextrose, about 5 ounces per 5 gallons by weight. I'd have to guess at how many cups that is- but I'd think 3/4 cup would be about right.

You could use table sugar- just a bit less than corn sugar.

Thank you i used 3/4 a cup dextrose disolved in 1 cup water then cooled ... worked good ...
I have never had dextrose to use. I live a ways away from the HBS .I got a 4 lb bag of dextrose, should last a little while ... Will regular table sugar change the flavor of my beer? why does everyone use dextrose over table sugar?

Before I got a scale I tried 3/4 cups of dextrose, it worked but usually not carbed quite well enough for my liking. I now weigh out exactly 1 ounce per gallon with better results, and it seems that 5 ounces is more like 7/8 of a cup.

I have also used cane sugar for carbing (about 15% less or so) and it also works well. In the small amounts used for priming it doesn't affect the taste that I can tell.

Back