How much Stupid Tax have you paid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBarron

Reaction score
So,

I've made a few mistakes in brewing over the last few weeks and it got me thinking about how stupid they were. They were all preventable and they all cost me money in the end.

Anyway, I listen to Dave Ramsey (get out of debt guru) and he has this thing called a "Stupid Tax". A stupid tax is anything stupid you did to put yourself in a lot of debt. Basically he says, pay it, learn your lesson, and move on.

So, since it is tax season, I wondered just how much have I paid in homebrewing stupid tax over the last year? I decided to break it down:

$10 - new heating element. Just burned out a heating element in a plastic cooler when I decided to test my new control panel but forgot to add water. Burned it out in about 10 seconds.

$50 - new HLT. When I burned out my heating element, I attempted to remove it from my cooler and ended up cracking the bottom. Decided it wasn't worth fixing and had to buy a new one.

$20 - new flask. Learned that you could boil your starter directly in the flask but that electric heat was not recommended. So I decided to fire up my old camping stove that I haven't used in 10 years. Got it fired up but as I was tweaking the flame, I guess I super heated a small portion of the flask and it broke. It sent boiling wort and glass all over my workbench and my hands.

$10 - new hydrometer. During my first batch of all grain, I guess I enjoyed too many beers and got a little sloppy towards the end. Ended up dropping my hydrometer after one use.

So, it looks like my grand total is $90 paid in Stupid Tax. I guess it could be worse, but man, I paid a lot the past few weeks.

Was wondering if anyone else has paid this tax or is it just me? :)

Oh yeah,

I forgot one.

$5 - new stir bar. Ended up mangling a stir bar in the garbage disposal after forgetting it was in the flask.

My wife reminded me of that one.

New stupid tax total = $95.00

$30 for a new carboy to replace the one that kissed the concrete last weekend (going with a better bottle now)

I'm sure there's more but I have a mental block on lost $$

I just bought a bronze 809 pump.

Does that count as a stupid tax, or a self-imposed levy?

Latest posts

Back