How much stirring in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipmont

Reaction score
I ran this question through the mead forum but am wondering if I might find any different perspectives in the wine forum. I currently stir my wines/meads, vigorously, throughout primary fermentation, which for me is all the way down to the 2/3 sugar break. They have been turning out pretty well, at least by my standards.

However, I am concerned that I may be doing a lot of extra work for nothing or, worse, actually doing damage to the wine due to the introduction of excess oxygen. What kind of stirring aeration do you guys do in primary? 1/3 sugar break? Perhaps 2/3? Gentle stirring, or more vigorous?

Thanks -

2 times a day for 3-4 days will usually get you to the 1.020-1.040 point and you can put it in a carboy.

zipmont said:
I ran this question through the mead forum but am wondering if I might find any different perspectives in the wine forum. I currently stir my wines/meads, vigorously, throughout primary fermentation, which for me is all the way down to the 2/3 sugar break. They have been turning out pretty well, at least by my standards.

However, I am concerned that I may be doing a lot of extra work for nothing or, worse, actually doing damage to the wine due to the introduction of excess oxygen. What kind of stirring aeration do you guys do in primary? 1/3 sugar break? Perhaps 2/3? Gentle stirring, or more vigorous?

Thanks -

Not a vigorous stir, just a gentle stir twice a day during your primary.

Thanks guys. Is the more vigorous stir, aimed at oxygenation, simply unnecessary, extra work? Or is it likely to harm the wine? Can the c02 protect the wine if this kind of stirring was done?

its just extra work.

all your doing is stirring to get the excess Co2 out and some oxygen into the must.

Thanks - that's what I was hoping to hear. I've already put 100 gallons of cyser into secondary, having stirred the heck out of it all through primary (down to the 2/3 sugar break). I have been fearing the worst, that I might have ruined it. It's tasting pretty good though, so I think you're right - it's just extra work that probably doesn't cause too much damage, if any. As for the next 100 gallons ... only a gentle stir, except at pitching time, of course. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back