how much should a co2 refill cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woah! 50lb (do you mean 50 cu ft?). How big is that cylinder?

I just bought a 15lb yesterday. The place I go for refills charges 24 for 5lb/ 26 for 10lb/ and 28 for 15lb

I was worried that 15lb would even fit in my keezer but it did!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No 50lb it is about 5 foot tall....

If the only place I know around here did fills that were not at a per lb basis or close enough ($23 for a 5# and $40 something for my 15#) I would happily graduate to a larger tank. Its just, if I were to have a leak, it would get really costly to refill. And what makes me even sadder is the HBS I trade my 5# in at only trades in 5, 10, and 20# tanks.

I did a 10 lb exchange for $21 yesterday. They would have swapped the 10lb tank for a 20 lb for $60 plus the cost of the gas. My tank was out of date but they did not care nor did they charge extra for that.

The place I go to told me they charge $10 a tank... I only have a 5 pounder, not sure if it would still be $10 if I brought in a 50 pounder.

Cheapest place for me is the LHBS that charges 20$ for an exchange. There's a place that does exhanges for 25$ thats a couple miles down the road from my house. the only place for a refill is the paintball place and they want 25$ for a fill so screw them. called a few local welding shops and fire equipment places and they all said they dont refill.

Cheapest I can find near me is $25 for a 5#, and having to call a day in advance so they can "order" a tank and drive 30 miles one way just to swap out the tanks. My other option (the one I like) is they deliver welding supplies to my town every other Thursday. If I need gas I just call them, set the empty on my back porch and they come by and swap it out. Looking into buying a 20# tank and using the 5# as a back up.

I'm not sure how many lbs. my tank is but it's one of the big ones that stands about waist high on me and I'm 6 ft. tall, and it's costs me $21 dollars for an exchange @ Nexair near my house. I brew 5-10 gallons per week and force carb and serve nearly all of that beer and one of those tanks lasts me 8 or 9 months. I live in Memphis, Tn.

Why does AirGas have different prices depending what part of the country their in.

Doesn't seem right.

I'm still P.O.ed that they had such a large price increase in only one year at mine. What goes up 84% in one year for no specific reason???? Not my paycheck for sure.

Negotiated? It has never cost me more than $23 at my local Airgas.

They wouldn't give me the state rate anymore even though I work for the state. I was getting a 20# for $8 but their local manager is forcing everyone to the sky-high rate of $45 for a 20#, unless you're in a contract. In other words, they are trying to maximize profits. I will need to call Linde and the other company (can't think of its name). Most other guys were paying $45+ at Airgas depending on the whim of the employee at the time of exchange.

MC

I recently found a place near me that does it for about $16 for a #5 refill. But half the time I go there, the staff aren't around. I go in the door, check out the back area, yell a little, then leave. My backup place charges $26 for a #5 exchange. Another fire supply store nearby charges more than $30 and were very rude. I haven't gone back there.

I recently found a place near me that does it for about $16 for a #5 refill. But half the time I go there, the staff aren't around. I go in the door, check out the back area, yell a little, then leave. My backup place charges $26 for a #5 exchange. Another fire supply store nearby charges more than $30 and were very rude. I haven't gone back there.

$16 for a 5# round here? not bad, where?

I heard in another thread they were defunct! WTF do they do all day? I assumed they were just an answering machine, because that's all I get when I call.

Laurel Bottled Gas has a good rate on 20# swaps (I think it was $22?), but the guy is a dick if there's anything untoward about your tank (he will still swap it, he will just make a lot of noise and waste your time).

I heard in another thread they were defunct! WTF do they do all day? I assumed they were just an answering machine, because that's all I get when I call.

Laurel Bottled Gas has a good rate on 20# swaps (I think it was $22?), but the guy is a dick if there's anything untoward about your tank (he will still swap it, he will just make a lot of noise and waste your time).

$22 for #20 sounds like a terrific deal. Maybe I should consider stepping up and moving my tank outside my keezer...it would open space for a 4th keg...

As for HK Fire...I last used them a couple months ago, maybe Feb or March. A couple weeks ago they were still there...and open..but nobody was around.

A couple weeks ago they were still there...and open..but nobody was around.

Well, now it's starting to sound like an opportunity... haha.

Yes, most of the cost is labor, really, a 5# swap is usually no less than 50% the price of a 20# swap, unless you go to a place that has their priorities messed up and charges by weight (e.g. paintball shop, or Annapolis Homebrew).

If you're interested in stepping up consider Scott R, he ships all kinds of tanks, largely to HBT users from what I can tell (there are some threads about him already, pretty much all glowing recommendations). I got a 20# steel co2 tank in less than a week for $70, shipped (!). No ownership marks, though like I said the guy at Laurel Bottled Gas griped about it missing a sticker before swapping it.

I won't vouch that his prices are the same as they were last month, but here's what they were in late March:

Scott R <[email protected]>
I have 3 steel tanks as of right now with good hydros.... If interested I can ship tomorow & take your word on mailing me $$??

Here's my list:
Hi! I have plenty of 20# & 5# Aluminum Co2 Tanks.....
I've had to raise some of the shipping costs due to UPS 6% rate increase. (sorry)
20# Aluminum Co2 tanks are $65.00ea plus $20.00 for shipping....
20# Steel tanks are $40.00ea plus $30.00 for shipping....
5# Aluminum Co2 tanks are $45.00ea plus $18.00 for shipping.....
2-1/2# Aluminum Co2 tanks are $35.00 plus $18.00 for shipping....(OUT OF)
I can get 45# co2 Aluminum tanks for $150.00 ea.... Plus $43.00 shipping....
20CF Steel Ntrogen tank $35.00 plus $23.00 for shipping...
40CF Steel Nitrogen tank $40.00 plus $31.00 for shipping...
60CF Steel Nitrogen tank $50.00 plus $35.00 for shipping...
80CF Steel Nitrogen tank $60.00 plus $40.00 for shipping...(OUT OF)
California & Montana Residents---shipping will be $10.00 higher due to UPS 6% rate increase......(Sorry)
All my tanks will have current hydro/static tests....
I only accept Money Order or Cashier's check now due to PayPal fees.... I will email tracking #'s when I ship.. I'm an honest guy as stated in HBT forum.....

(apologies to scotty if he doesn't want me posting this and finds out, but I suspect he appreciates the advertising)

Local to north San Diego it's $26.00 to swap and like 10 more if you need a hydro. My son just swapped one in up state New York for $16.00

Go figure

Rick

Just got a 20# and 10# exchanged/filled here... $17 for 20#, $13 for 10lb.. Northeast Pennsylvania area.

prices really are all over the place, eh? I pay about 1.55 / lb when refilling a 20# - that's out the door, after the state and county get their hooks in

$21 for a swap on a 5# at AirGas here in Colorado Springs. I hear that Way to Grow will refill largers tanks for around $8 but wont even touch a 5#

Cost is $10 for a 5lb tank in Madison Wi. Friend spends $16 for a 75lb tank . . . but he has a special situation with a drive in.

My 15# CO2 tank runs me right at $20 USD. In middle Indiana get it from my local fire protection.

Back