How much is beer taxed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick

Reaction score
I've read numerous threads on here about selling your own beer, giving it to a bar, etc.

Just begs the question, just how much tax is there on, say a 5 gallon keg of beer? Last time I bought a 7.5 gallon keg of Yeungling, it was $48. Of that amount, I wonder how much the Feds, Florida and my locals got their fingers in all this. I wonder how much of that $48 is actually Yeungling's. I'm guessing everyone else gets the majority of the coin.:(

Varies from state-to-state. I noticed on my local beer bar's webpage they've put up their beer menu and at the bottom they've listed that a 10% tax is levied on top of the prices.

First time I've seen drink prices that didn't have the taxes included:drunk:

Anyways I'd imagine there's more to it than just the POS taxes...

Not a simple answer. Alcohol, along with tobacco, gambling & etc., qualifies as "sin tax," and so it is always a prime target to get hit when government runs short of funds, which seems to be all the time these days....

Not a simple answer. Alcohol, along with tobacco, gambling & etc., qualifies as "sin tax," and so it is always a prime target to get hit when government runs short of funds, which seems to be all the time these days....

huh? there's a specific amount that beer is taxed.

but it does vary by state. there is a federal tax, but there's also state taxes.

huh? there's a specific amount that beer is taxed.

but it does vary by state. there is a federal tax, but there's also state taxes.

.....which is what I meant when I said the answer wasn't simple. The OP asked for a single answer, and there isn't one. It's specific, all right, and the specific amount is different everywhere.

well, ok. but he's in florida, so there is a single answer to his question "how much of this $48 Yeungling keg is Yeungling's".

You would have to look up the excise tax for the state and federal government. Then there is some fee charged by the distributor to sell the beer to the liquor store. You probably won't be able to figure out the distributor's cut to determine what is left that goes to the brewery.

florida:
May 8, 1933 -- 6 cents per gallon
June 7, 1937 -- 7 cents per gallon
July 1, 1945 -- 24 cents per gallon
August 1, 1963 -- 28 cents per gallon
April 1, 1968 -- 32 cents per gallon
July 1, 1977 -- 40 cents per gallon
September 1, 1983 -- 48 cents per gallon bulk and .64 cents packaged

Federal (per barrel):
July 1, 1940 - October 31, 1942 $6.00
November 1, 1942 - March 31, 1944 $7.00
April 1, 1944 - October 31, 1951 $8.00
November 1, 1951 - December 31, 1990 $9.00 **
January 1, 1991 - Present $18.00 **

**** Effective February 1977 and January 1991, a brewer who produces not more than 2,000,000 barrels of beer in a year has a $7.00 per barrel tax rate on the first 60,000 barrels which are removed in such year for consumption or sale.

Latest posts

Back