How much for fresh-pressed juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unferth

Reaction score
I'm working on hammering out some deals for fresh pressed juice from local orchards for me and my buddies, but some of the advertised prices are exorbitant--or they seem so to me. I'm hoping I can get them down to a reasonable level by the time apple season rolls around.

So, currently, a nearby (not quite local) orchard started selling fresh pressed blends for $4 a liter. Considering I can buy a pint of craft beer or cider for that at the bar, (AND this is Canada) I'm less than enthusiastic.

What are some reasonable asking prices for good fresh pressed juice?

This will depend heavily on location, location, location. If apple growing is prevalent in your area, $4/gl or perhaps less. If not prelavant, I've seen upwards of $8/gl. Then there's weather. Normally in Central NY, I pay $4.50-5/gl. This past year's apple crop was decimated w/ the lowest yield in 50 years. Prices hit $6.50+/gl with many places not filling bulk orders. You'll need to shop around and ask around your area...

What ColdBrains said.

You also may want to check with your local homebrew club and see if you can pull together enough friends to get 100 gal or more. A lot of the places that are doing enough volume to give you a good price on juice are not going to want to mess with less than that - or if they do, they wont move much off their retail price.

If a local orchard is pressing now, its with last seasons apples out of cold storage. Last year prices were the highest they've ever been.

No one is going to give you a good price now. The time to hammer out a deal is in August or September, when everyone has a pretty good idea of what next season's harvest is going to look like. If its a good harvest, you should be able to get close to $3/gal for 100+ gal of decent juice. Another tight harvest and expect to pay over 4. If you dont like the price you get, ask them how much you need to buy to get the price you want. Also it doesnt hurt to let them know that you and your friends will be making hard cider, because then the orchards will know that you wont be competing with their other retailers, and they can give you a better deal without undercutting their market.

This is good info. Any other thoughts, guys? I love east coast cider makers!

Anybody in the PNW got info, tips?

I know of an orchard locally that presses twice a week using cold stored apples. They offer cider blends and as of about a month ago were charging $4.75 per gallon if you buy at least 25 gallons. you could probably do better if you ordered more than 25 gallons. If you're interested PM me and I'll give you the contact info.

It's a long way to ship cider from New Hampshire... I like the idea, but there's probably options with a smaller carbon footprint... And shipping costs. $4 a gallon sounds nice though...

Back