How much corn sugar to bottle partial Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daneaux

Reaction score
I had a gallon extra from my original Imperial stout batch that I kegged. I want to bottle this spare gallon but last time I did this I eyeballed the cornsugar and that wasnt too smart. No exploding bottles just gushers. I mean Gushers. So what is a fifth of .75 cup of corn sugar? The original gravity was 1.077 and the FG is 1.024. Any Suggestions? Thanks Daneaux :

I just did the FG on it and edited my original question. So, that is 1.2 oz for the remaining gallon? Thank you for your help El Pistolero :)

One fifth of 3/4 cup is 1.2 volume ounces, or just a little over an eighth of a cup.

Whether or not that is the correct amount of corn sugar for this particular batch...you'd be better served waiting for an answer from someone wiser than myself (meaning everybody else). :cool:

Just googling corn sugar and finding an appropriate weight of about 3.7 g/L for an average amount of dissolved CO2, doing all the conversion gives you about 15 grams or just over a half ounce by weight for one gallon if you want to weigh it out. That's if my conversion skills are up to par...

Thank you! I thought .6 ounce sounded right. I put about the amount (eye balled) of El Pisto's calculations last time and I had too much co2 in the bottles. I will try the 1/2 ounce and see how that does. Thanks again to both of you... :)

Just letting yall know how the Imperial stout turned out in the bottles. I put 13 grams of corn sugar to just under a gallon of stout and bottled two weeks ago. Opened a bottle yesterday and it was perfect. Balanced PSSST when opened and no mount st. gusher. Thanks to those who helped. ;)

Back