How much Black Patent to use...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeerguy

Reaction score
I am going to try something different here, I am looking to make a late hopped black IPA.

Here is the rough recipe:

20 Min Black IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/26/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Anthony
Boil Size: 6.27 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 36.2 IBU
0.50 oz Galena [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Galena [13.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.075 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.48 %
Bitterness: 64.1 IBU
Calories: 342 cal/pint
Est Color: 26.7 SRM

My question is, is 1/2lb of black patent too much? Beersmith estimates 26.7SRM. That is black enough for me, but I didn't want too much of the black patents flavor.

Thanks!

yes, that much black malt is going to give you a roastiness you don't want in an IPA. You might look into some Carafa III special - it is dehusked to eliminate the acrid/roast character of most dark malts. Still, I'd only use a couple ounces or so.

Use Special-B and/or Dark Crystal in lieu of the BP/C-60/C-Pils. Will give too much roastiness IMO but YMMV. Check out the malts in my killer Imperial Bastard. Plenty dark enough!

I put 4 oz (of black patent) in a BDIPA I made. It is in secondary getting dry hopped, but the samples where pretty damn acrid. Hopefully the hop flavor from the DH will cover it a bit, but next time I'm gonna cut it down to 1-2 oz., for just a touch of roasted bite.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason other than color to use Black Patent in an IPA recipe? It just seems to me like an odd flavor to have in an IPA. I have to admit that I haven't tried any commercial versions of BIPAs either, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

The whole concept of a black IPA is a little strange....I guess it is supposed to be a subtle difference though, and I did enjoy the version of this that I tried. I agree with those that have said 8 oz is way too much BP and the burnt roast flavor will compete with the IPA flavor. ....If I were going to brew a black IPA I think I would use a combination of (small amounts of) british chocolate, carafa III, and/or a de-bittered black malt.

half a POUND?
I was thinking a third of a CUP!

:off:

I was looking at Chuckie P's mild extract recipe the other day. It called for 4lbs of DME and 1/2 lb of black patent. I thought, thats gotta be a mistake. Maybe chocolate, that seems to be alot of chocolate too.

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah all I was looking to do is to get a nice dark color with the BP. I will look into using Carafa III.

Back