How many litres in a gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budwhite5

Reaction score
I know what you're probably thinking, why haven't you used google? Well the reason is this 1 US gallon = 3.785ltr and 1 imperial gallon = 4.546ltr. Obviously a sizeable difference. I'm looking to buy a glass carboy and I see a lot of you guys talk about 5gallon carboys so I'm wondering what size that will be in litres. It will also help me down the line when I'm reading recipies etc. Thanks in advance :)

I know what you're probably thinking, why haven't you used google? Well the reason is this 1 US gallon = 3.785ltr and 1 imperial gallon = 4.546ltr. Obviously a sizeable difference. I'm looking to buy a glass carboy and I see a lot of you guys talk about 5gallon carboys so I'm wondering what size that will be in litres. It will also help me down the line when I'm reading recipies etc. Thanks in advance :)

Unless otherwise stated, I would assume it people are talking about US Gallons. A liter is a little more than a quart (and there are 4 quarts in a gallon).

For a question like this, Google is your friend.

untitled.JPG

Sorry!! On my mobile device and sent a quick reply during my commute!

simpsons-language.jpg

I always thought recipes were in imperial gallons.... The ubiquitous white plastic pail is 23 Litres to the "line" about 3 inches from the lid. 23 Litres is 5 Imperial Gallons. It is 6 US Gallons... We always called those "5 gallon pails" growing up...

I always thought recipes were in imperial gallons... I guess it depends on your country of origin. The ubiquitous white plastic pail is 23 Litres to the "line" about 3 inches from the lid. 23 Liters is 5 Imperial Gallons. It is 6 US Gallons...

My Ale Pale fermenter bucket has both gallons and liters marked and it is in US gallons (4 gallons is just under 15 liters). I think it does come down to country of origin. In the US, I would assume we are talking US gallons.

Ok,here's some handy formulas for converting from metric to US standard. I can't find the link,but it's; http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/metric_conversions I keep the printouts in the back of my brewing notebook for easy reference.
Liters to USG-L x .264 = G
Kilograms to pounds-Kg x 2.202 = LB
grams to ounces-g x .035 = oz
Celcius to Fahrenheit-(C x 1.8) + 32 =F
ounces to grams-O x 28.35 =g
fluid ounces to milliliters-FO x 29.57 =mL
gallons to liters-G x 3.785 =L
These should cover what we need most of the time...:mug:
And for the record,the Cooper's FV's 23L mark is equal to 6.072USG.

Thanks guys felt a bit daft asking the question, but better to ask and know rather than quess and end up with bad beer in the future :)

Unless it says Imp Gal, or Imperial Gallon, it's a US Gallon.
After all... a pint's a pound the world around.

Back