How many kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
For someone just starting thinking about Kegging, how many would I really need? I read about people having several at a time. Is it like everything else that you enjoy - "when you think you have too many, get two more"?

YES! I started with 2 and thought I'd never need more. But even though my kegerator only holds 3, they are great to age in than you never have to transfer again! I lager in them, dry hop in them and oak age in them. Pretty much everything but ferment. I have 6 now and right this second I think I'm good ;)

My keezer holds 5 and I have 7. If you have extra you can always have 1 ready to go online when a tap blows. Course you'll have to step up your brewing too ;)

Serve, lager, ferment, age... Never ever get rid of surplus kegs because you will regret it.

Yes, indeed!

I started with four. Within 6 months I went to 8.
Currently, I have 7 filled, 1 empty.

I think it depends on who you can share with. I only have a handful of friends who drink beer, or appreciate beer diversity. Therefore, I can't empty kegs very fast.

If you are very social, and have "associates" who can help you experiment and sample, perhaps a bigger number is more appropriate.

Depends on how much you brew?

I brew over a hundred gallons a year 11 gallons at a time, I need a place to store it...

I have 15 but I have three on tap at any one time, I make a couple beers that are to to be aged, and I supply beer to two or three parties a year.

So the 15 I have is the minimum I need.

DPB

I would say reasonably 2 more than your keezer/kegorator holds. I started up with 4 kegs, now I am hoarding 18.

I started with two but I just built my keezer a week ago. One is full of IPA and the other has Stout. My keezer holds 3. I want to get at least 4 more but don't tell SWMBO.

I have 12 and want 20 more !! I am in the process of building a 6 tap keezer...5 + 1 stout on nitro. My keezer will hold 9, so 6 to pour, maybe 1 to lager and a few to carb...and lots on stanby aging..... at least thats my plan

As many as you can use and afford ; )

image-1410587973.jpg

image-3281848995.jpg

Back