How many kegs do you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
I just ordered all my kegging equip and 2 kegs to start. My question is one out of curiosity on how many kegs you have. I could see myself having 4 but if I only have 2 on tap do I ever really need more than that? Is brew sitting in a keg with a shot of CO2 waiting in the wings to be tapped got a time window? Or is it then pretty much like a bottled beer.

The tapped keg I understand, its batches waiting to be tapped I'm unclear on... Ah, a newbie again...

Kegged beer will keep just as long as bottled beer. Just clear out the O2 with a few shots of CO2, pressurize it to seal the lid and wait until you run one keg dry.. then you'll always have one waiting :) - It won't be carbonated, though. Warm beer doesn't carbonate well. So you'll still have to wait a few days to drink from the new keg.

i have 6 right now, that way i can have one on tap, another carbonating in the cooler with the one that's tapped, two in the closet full of almost ready to go beer (usually been in the keg less than a week) and then i've got two to play with in case i need em (say i jump the gun and need to free up a secondary, or i want to run sanitizer through my tap lines)

you can do just fine with 2 or 3 though, i just cant pass up a deal when i think i might have to invest in it again later anyway.

The only true answer might be "not enough", but I'm keg-less at the moment. I'm going to put in my first order for some later this week, probably 2 or 3. I'm thinking 1-2 brews on tap while the odd keg out gets cleaned, filled, conditions, etc.

Kephren said:
Kegged beer will keep just as long as bottled beer. Just clear out the O2 with a few shots of CO2, pressurize it to seal the lid and wait until you run one keg dry.. then you'll always have one waiting :) - It won't be carbonated, though. Warm beer doesn't carbonate well. So you'll still have to wait a few days to drink from the new keg.

Cool. I can see 2 to start, 4 in my near future, more as time goes on. I saw past discusssion on natural keg carbonation (corn sugar I'd presume or similar). I'll have to re-read those and try some like that vs waiting in the closet to be co2 injected. Something about shaking the crap out of the keg to get carbonated faster sound like a PITA. I know I will with my 1st batch though since I don't have enough kegs yet :) . Birthdays coming up, got some wish lists for the wifey ;)

I have five 5-gallon cornys and two 3-gallon cornys. My kegerator will hold four 5-gallon cornys on tap leaving one to ferment. The 3-gallon cornys are used as growlers, really big beers, BLC, or bottle cleaning dispenser. But like LupusUmbrus said, not near enough.

Wild

Back