How many gallons of mead - 2019

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9.5 gallons so far.
2.5 gallons key lime ginger, bottled in the spring.
1 gallon blackberry mead, bottled in the spring.
2.5 gallons blackberry mead, still in fermenter.
2.5 gallons orange blossom mead, bottled a couple of days ago.
1 gallon orange cranberry mean, bottled a couple days ago.

I'm thinking I'll make at least one more 2.5 gallon batch of the key lime ginger this year, and maybe a gallon of peach mead.

9.5 gallons so far.
2.5 gallons key lime ginger, bottled in the spring.
1 gallon blackberry mead, bottled in the spring.
2.5 gallons blackberry mead, still in fermenter.
2.5 gallons orange blossom mead, bottled a couple of days ago.
1 gallon orange cranberry mean, bottled a couple days ago.

I'm thinking I'll make at least one more 2.5 gallon batch of the key lime ginger this year, and maybe a gallon of peach mead.

Lime ginger sounds like a good flavor combo for a lot of things.

Was the orange cranberry JAOM style with bread yeast? I made one like that and one just orange, too. They tasted bready.

Lime ginger sounds like a good flavor combo for a lot of things.

Was the orange cranberry JAOM style with bread yeast? I made one like that and one just orange, too. They tasted bready.

The lime ginger, unsurprisingly, tastes just like a Moscow Mule. Which is great, because I like Moscow Mules!

The orange cranberry was a result of me running across some "organic" cranberry juice in the grocery store, guaranteed free of additives, just juice from cranberries. And I like that orange cranberry relish on Thanksgiving, so I thought I'd try making a drinkable version.

So it was just cranberry juice, orange zest and juice, and enough honey to bring up the SG. (And some yeast nutrient, of course!) (Used Lavin K1-V1116 yeast.) Problem was, I failed to consider just how incredibly acidic cranberry juice really is: I pitched it twice, nothing at all happened, and I just left it in the back of the closet until I could dump it and clean things up.

Three months later, I was about to pour it down the drain, and I tasted it first. Tasted pretty good, even if it wasn't alcoholic. So I reduced the acidity a bit with potassium carbonate, and repitched it a third time, and it started fermenting, though slowly. After it finally stopped bubbling, I racked it off the lees, (Not a lot of those, the original solids had fallen out during the months sitting inert, and the yeast hardly grew at all.) and aged it a couple months on medium roast Hungarian oak.

Kind of a rescue mead, but after a year in the closet total, it came out pretty good. I might try making it again, only using the potassium carbonate up front.

Last edited:
Man, is there some sort of honey shortage with all of these 1 gallon batches?! I kid, of course.

Made 11 gallons on Saturday for Mead Day. 6 gallons of gallberry at Sack Mead strength fermenting with 71B, 5 gallons of orange blossom at regular 14% strength fermented dry (hopefully it finishes out) with Kviek Stranda. Plan to rack the first one onto key lime pie fixins per the AHA recipe, and three gallons of the Kviek fermented one will be racked into a keg on top of cherry juice and Dr. Pepper.

Total: 196.75 + 9.5 (Brett’s post above) + 11 = 217.25

1 gallon is great for experiments, of course, but I admit it doesn't fill many bottles if the experiment works out. I only got the 2.5 gallon fermenters last winter.

Until we can remodel to provide me with some permanent brewing space, that's it; Everything has to fit in a small closet when I'm not using the kitchen!

I'm not breaking any mead making records in this house...but I'm still counting it!
Half a gallon of a strawberry/rhubarb experiment. My hopes are not high about it haha.

217.25 + .5 = 217.75

I made 5 gallons of mead last Friday. Plan to keg and serve in whatever quantities I want. Should hopefully finish around 7%, so a session mead ;)

217.75 + 5 = 222.75

Just pitched a 3.5 gallon batch (amount of must while I’m holding fruit bag/pulp out) of Black Deathberry (modified death berry BOMM) .
222.75+3.5=226.25

Last edited:
My first ever mead, I went cherry and cinnamon with wildflower and orange blossom
1 gallon
226.25 + 1 = 227.25

I just finished up a wildflower tradition BOMM and racked it onto some blackberries
227.25+1=228.25

Back