How many gallons in a 6.5 carboy ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you asking how much headspace you need to keep your beer from overflowing when it ferments? That will vary greatly depending on the yeast, wort, temperature, and other factors. I try and get about 5.5 gallons of wort in the carboy and sometimes that still needs a blow off tube. I haven't checked, but I think the 6.5 gallon glass carboys hold more like 7 gallons.

Agree with above.

For me it is simple, I only use my 6.5 gal carboy for primary on big beers (over 1.070 OG).
I put around 5.5 gallons in and ALWAYS use a blow off setup.
I personally would not put much more than 6 gal in because I know I would just lose some anyhow to blowoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like to make the full 6.5 gallons pouring about 3/4 gallon into a one gallon moonshine jug. I find this gives me lots of options down the road.

I can skip secondary pouring the one gallon jug into the 6.5 carboy to reduce headspace.

If I'm dry hopping I will usually throw the hops in an empty 5 gallon secondary then rack on top and fill the one gallon with any leftover from the 6.5 gal carboy.

Ive found on quite a few occasions with dry hopping that I would have dismissed a recipe way to early. Now that I have a few options I can let one finish without dry hopping and get a taste of the base malt recipe or I can dry hop with different varieties, amounts or just leave one on the hops that extra week for comparison.

How many gallons in a 6.5 carboy ?
This many . . .

CarboyNumbers3lr.jpg

Back