How many gallons can I expect to start with for a 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawgBrewer

Reaction score
So I'm planning out my first AG batch and am wondering if I need to go ahead and convert the keg I have to a keggle. I currently brew with an aluminum pot that holds a little over 5 gallons (the typical turkey fryer setup). I'm looking to do a beer around 6% - 7% ABV. How many gallons should I expect to have pre boil?

Depends if you sparge to boil volume or sparge for maximum extraction.

60 minute boil volume for me in my 8 gal kettle is about 6.5 gallons to end up at 5 gallons.

If you follow the 1.25qt/lb mash + 2qt/lb sparge rules you will have even more of a pre-boil volume and will have to boil longer to boil down the volume.

Sooooo, I think you're gonna be SOL with that small of a pot. My 8 gal barely holds my pre-boil volume (and keep a hot break in)...

What volume were you expecting to make from this? If you assume a 3g batch or a 2.5g batch then you should be okay, if you want a 5.5g batch... well that is impossible. 6-7% range is about 12-13 lb of grain based on a 5.5g batch, so for 12 lb I generally do about 5qt for 4 lb, so 15qt, is about 4g which would leave you with about 2.5-3g after grain absorption. If you want to sparge you don't have any room in the pot. Also for the 5.5g you will be unable to boil the full volume of beer. Basically, you need a bigger pot.

I use a 7.5 gallon pot and its not large enough. I usually catch the last 1 to 1.5 gals in a smaller pot and boil it separately til the liquid volume in larger pot drops enough to re-add. Usually an 8 gal pot is the minimum for a full boil on a 5gal batch. Personally , my next pot will be a 10 gal.
Good luck!
E

You can always do a partial boil of around 3 gallons or so and top up after the boil. People make great beer like this all the time.

Back