How long will it last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azfalcon

Reaction score
Was about to order a kit online and start it as soon as I bottle my brew starting this weekend. How long will the yeasts stay good In the fridge?

i'm sure one of the older guys have a better answer for you, but i'm pretty sure they'll keep for a while. i've had mine for a month or so and it's been fine. not much experience keeping them longer than that.

Depends on if it's dry yeast or not. Both should do just fine for quite a while if they are refrigerated. The dry yeast, while not the preferred yeast of many, will last a very long time if kept dry and cool. The Wyeast Activator packs should also last a while under the same conditions.

The only rumblings I hear around here about ordering yeast is about doing it in the summer when it's very hot outside and not being able to know how the yeast was handled in transit.

You're fine if you are just waiting until your current ferm finishes. Yeast cells are now engineered to be more self sufficient. They have nutrients on their outer layer that they can feed on until they have a proper source. As was stated earlier, keep your yeast dry and cool.

Latest posts

Back