how long will grains keep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raef

Reaction score
happy new year! i purchased grain on oct 4th, all is crushed and has been bagged separately since at 70 degrees. do you think it is still good to use?

Yes. I have certain malts ive had almost a year,uncrushed though sitting around 60.Just used some. Depending how moist it was during storage you really wouldnt have to worry about it. I always try to keep my basement dry,i have a humidifier run if it rains or high-humidity.It stays pretty dry in the winter also.

Bought grain and had it crushed at LHBS on Oct 8. Too many things got in the way and did not brew until Dec 10. Bottled yesterday (Dec 31) and smelled and tasted great. OG 1.060 and FG 1.018. Ready to drink on Jan 21. Kept the grain in a Ziploc Bag in basement (65 degrees) Time will tell but should be good.

Important things with grain:

- Keep it dry

- Keep rodents and bugs out

- Keep air out

- Keep it cool.

If stored correctly, crushed grain can keep as long as whole grain. If not, the whole grain will last a lot longer since the husk acts as protection.

Based on limited information, I would say you are OK.

Grain will keep for years.

Oxygen and heat and humidity are grain enemys, control that and you are gold.

Back