How long to leave wine on oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winenewb172

Reaction score
Sorry I'm sure there is a thousand threads on this but I can't get the search function to work very good but I'm just wondering how long to leave wine on toasted oak chips. And how to toast my own chips and any other advice you might have on oaking wine. Thanks!!

I'm not sure about making your own oak chips.

As far as how long to leave your oak chips in wine, lots of wineries age their wine in oak barrels. This process can take several years. However the oak flavor from chips, shavings, and cubes is extracted faster than from a barrel. I have read that after 6 weeks oak chips, shavings, or cubes have had their flavor completely extracted, and will impart no more flavor.

The best advise when oaking a wine is to taste as you go, when you get to the point that you like the flavor rack off the oak and continue aging.

I usually oak in the secondary but this time around I went ahead and Oakes the primary to test the difference. Typical secondary time varies as it isn't the most important factor for me, ie carboy space, bottle availability, etc...

I have toasted oak in the oven but for a smokey flavor and some char I use the grill.

Unfortunately, when the wine tastes correctly oaked, it is too late to take them out and will be over oaked.

Its a guessing game.

I use between 3 to 4 oz per 6 gallon batch, and oak somewhere between 2 and 5 weeks, tasting as I go. Only gone to 5 weeks on a Pinot Noir I did last year. Most else I stop at 3 to 4 weeks. However, I am not a big oak fan. Some may oak more!

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks for the advice guys I got some lightly toasted American oak chips ready today can't wait to oak some wine!

Back