How long to condition at room temp BEFORE fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taybull84

Reaction score
I brewed an American Porter on 3/10, and bottled it after 15 days in primary (3/25). It has now been 3+ weeks of conditioning at room temp... I've heard that Porters take longer to condition, does that mean at room temp or in fridge? What are the benefits/harm between leaving them at room temp vs putting them in fridge? For example, will it become over carbonated if I don't fridge after a certain point?

I brewed an American Porter on 3/10, and bottled it after 15 days in primary (3/25). It has now been 3+ weeks of conditioning at room temp... I've heard that Porters take longer to condition, does that mean at room temp or in fridge? What are the benefits/harm between leaving them at room temp vs putting them in fridge? For example, will it become over carbonated if I don't fridge after a certain point?

Don't worry. It won't become over-carbonated. Once the yeast consume the priming sugar and the CO2 absorbs into the brew, that's it.

Darker, higher ABV beers can take longer. I had a Munich Dunkel that took about 5-6 weeks (at room temp) to get ready. I tried a chocolate stout last weekend at 3 weeks and decided not to try another for at least another month. I was expecting that it would take an extra-long time, but just had to try one. Those bottles are still conditioning at room temp.

Makes sense about not over carbonating, thanks. So after carbonization is complete, what are the differences between continuing conditioning at room temp vs in the fridge?

Makes sense about not over carbonating, thanks. So after carbonization is complete, what are the differences between continuing conditioning at room temp vs in the fridge?

You'll get a little more settling/clearing in less time in the fridge. It's like cold crashing in the bottle. So if that's a desire, it can be a good thing. Well that and it's ready to drink when it's cold. :D

Well I know eventually it's going to spend time in the fridge... But after carbonization is complete, is there a difference between say 2 weeks room temp and 1 week fridge vs just 3 weeks fridge?

Probably something. I say throw a six pack in, leave a six pack out, and compare.

Try puting one in the fridge for a few days,& see how the carb & conditioning is. If it's still a lil undercarbed & green tasting,leave'em at room temp for another 2 weeks & try again. Dark beers can def take longer to carb & condition.

Sleeping yeast don't "condition"

Chill a sixer at a time. I guarantee, the last sixer will taste so much better than the rest of it, you will wish you had left it warm for 2 months.

And I would add a third thing as well. The beer clarifies like nothing else will clarify it. 2 or 3 weeks in a fridge and you got some clean clear beer almost as if you had lagered it

Back