How long is reasonable to wait for comp. results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxbob

Reaction score
Just wondering if I'm being impatient or not:

I entered a recent comp. that judged in April, and posted results within a few days . I medaled in one of the categories, but now ~6 weeks later have still not received scoresheets etc. The hosting club's website indicates that all non-local results were mailed out a couple weeks ago. Organizers aren't responsing to my email inquiries.

Not sure there's much else I can do besides wait and hope - am I justified in starting to get annoyed after ~1 1/2 months, or is this typical?

If you die of old age, that was too long.......

Uh, I'd call. If they were mailed out, where are they? Shoddy work by whomever ran that comp.

I was in charge of a competition in April and I had my scoresheets emailed within 5 days. I wanted to get everything wrapped up and behind me, but I wouldn't expect that to be the standard. I would think 3 weeks would be reasonable. They should respond to you. But if they were mailed and yours haven't showed up, there's probably nothing they can do.

OTOH, I had an inquiry about scoresheets two days after the competition. Give me a break!

Spartan, I wish I'd entered your comp!

They didn't mail results to local entrants, so I think the more likely explanation is that my stuff is sitting in a HB supply store somewhere 1,000 miles away, rather than the sheets got lost in the mail. Not sure if they're going to make any effort to make it right, but that's life I guess.

I think it's safe to say they don't really have their act together - they're also listed on the BJCP delinquent competition list, for failing to submit an organizer report...

Now more than 2 months past judging, and still no scoresheets/awards, and no response to email inquiries (only contact option, as there is no phone number listed for them). Assuming at this point nothing is ever going to come back from that competition. Pretty frustrating, knowing that I had a gold medal winning entry, and not being able to see the scores or feedback.

I'm thinking about emailing the BJCP competition director for their region and suggesting that they not be sanctioned in the future, if they can't fulfill the basic requirements of running a competition. is this reasonable, or overkill? If reasonable, how much longer should I wait before pulling that trigger?

You'll get a lot further with kindness and understanding. I think it's worth contacting the regional competition director about your frustrations; most folks will understand and have sympathy for you and if they're not lazy asses then they'll attempt to do something. I'd bet that if a regional director gets a cold shoulder or no reply from the local organizer then they'll be thinking along your same lines of not sanctioning in the future.

Yeah, you're probably right, that's a good suggestion. Maybe I write a nice note to the BJCP comp director as you suggested, and cc the comp organizer so they know I made that contact. That would be more reasonable, without burning any bridges.

Thanks!

Back