How Long is A Hefe Weizen Fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batches_brew

Reaction score
I read here, from various posters, that a hefeweizen is better young. Is this true and what's the recommended shelf life if so? 6 months?

Not that my beer will last that long. :tank:

I'm a green brewer so that's why I'm asking.

Edit: Sorry, I meant for this post to be in the General Beer Discussion.

If you drink one and it gives you farts right away it's too green. ;)

Drinking a HW too young is a common practice. I prefer my HW to be at least 1 month old. I've had them over 1 year old and they seem to become smoky, or have a burnt flavor to them. Not that that's a bad thing. Some of us who have spent some time in Germany actually enjoy the flavor. Some not.

I have to tell you that 1-3 months old would be my best guess range. ;)

I agree with 1-3 months, though last time I was at my folks place, I popped open one of my Hefes that was 5 months old and it was still mighty tasty.

Neither of the two hefeweizen batches I've made so far (Lemon Coriander Weiss and Hank's Hefe from MW) have lasted long enough to know. Started drinking both after about a month in the bottle and they were probably gone by a month or two later. Both excellent.

I just cracked open a Hefe from a batch I bottled about a month ago and it is just as good as it was once it finally became carbonated (just a little over two weeks ago), I think I just got used to it's flavor and now really enjoy it. As luck has it I just bottled another batch earlier this evening.
I wouldn't want it to sit around for too long, not that it would in my house, but a few months is not going to kill any beer.

Back